Service: Service on Institutional Projects
Helping connect students with learning opportunities throughout the college, supporting their digital needs and connecting with incoming students by giving them resources through projects like the Digital Learning Center.
- Digital Learning Center + kcaddlc.org
- NPD - National Portfolio Days
- Portfolio Camp
- Connect to Kendall
- Career Symposium
- KCAD Orientation
- All College Open House
- Golden Ticket Event 2016
- Art Day 2016
- Hiring Open Forums
- Continuing Studies Instructor
- Balancing STEAM
- In-service training
- Editing of Video Interview James Suhr
- Sculpture Visiting Artist
- Writing Center Video
- Digital Color Settings Site
Digital Learning Center + kcadDLC.org
- help Bill Fischer to create and manage content for Digital Tutorials, Guides and Resources
- Manage DLC work studies to ensure content is up to date and based on student need determined from the database of student need from DLC interactions.
- see it here
The Digital Learning Center was developed in 2010, first as a tutoring service and located in the ARC, now located on the 7th floor in the DAD HUB serving hundreds of students every semester.
This center is open to all students and faculty who need help understanding how to use 3D software, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign and the scanners and printers. Other software is able to be taught if the student staff have that knowledge. Its purpose is to develop a digital literacy for all students. Two digitally savvy upper level students staff it; they are trained in the software with an ability to help students become more confident in a digital world.
I was asked in 2015 to oversee the Digital Learning Center by the Dean - so I now enter in hours to KRONOS (Now timeclock) - previously handled by the ARC or Patti Constantine. This has streamlined the administration of work studies directly connected to me.
The new website and forum kcadDLC.org was created in a Professional Studio course by a student and the content has been managed by Bill Fischer and myself. I give the work-study staff assignments to add tutorials as we see need from the students who use our services. See the annual report for the Digital Learning Center.
First move to the 7th floor location with vinyl sticker!
The website and forum kcadDLC.org was created in a Professional Studio course by a student and the content has been managed by Bill Fischer and myself. I give the work-study staff assignments to add tutorials as we see need from the students who use our services. See the annual report for the Digital Learning Center.
First Version of the DLC in 2014 in the old Google Sites. Now the site is accessible on the New Google Sites on phone, tablet and computer for more access by students when they need it.
Click to Play DLC informational video created by KCAD students
National Portfolio Day : KCAD
- did admissions portfolio reviews and scholarship recommendations
- encouraged potential students through giving specific challenges to help their growth
- continued mentorships with 4 students via email and skype and Facebook
National Portfolio Day : CCSwith fellow faculty, Mike Dollar and Gayle DeBruyn.
- Reviewed Portfolios of prospective students and gave ideas on how they could connect with artists in the industry through social media and how they could work towards their goals in their careers.
Connect to Kendall
- I always connected with the tours that came through, giving walk arounds to introduce incoming students to the projects that we are working on.
KCAD : Open House
- I have done presentations and workshops on character design types and Vehicle Design.
- Another session we spent working on 3D painting on a character for a game.
- I am giving the potential students an idea of the amazing technical and artistic activity we do at the College.
Golden Ticket Event 2016
I did a presentation on character design types and Vehicle Design. Another session we spent working on 3D painting on a character for a game. I am giving the potential students an idea of the amazing technical and artistic activity we do at the College.
Art Day 2016:
High school seniors walked into Kendall College of Art and Design carrying three pieces of their best artwork. By the end of the day, some of them walked out with thousands of dollars to help pay for an education at Kendall. In Digital Media we participate by running workshops, for the entire Art Day competition I had a full classroom of 15 potential students working on Character Design for Games that we are working through in our Course projects.
Sarah Puett won the competition that year and she is now my workstudy in the DLC and continues to be a leader in the KCAD community specifically on the Revolutionary War Game Project.
- Connected students with appropriate career day events.
- Encouraged adjuncts in my area of Visual Development (6) to attend with classes.
- Facilitated the students at the Matt Clausen VR workshop
Scholastics Art Competition
- Juror for the Digital Art and Design and Video
- By keeping high standards while encouraging young creatives, KCAD shows a strong commitment to quality and opportunity for learning.
- Annually I lead multiple orientation days for the program helping students become familiar with KCAD, technology requirements and GR as a whole.
Hiring Open Forums:
- Dean of Academic Affairs
- General Advising Counselor
- Gen Ed Faculty
By committing to voicing the views of my program and students I help to ensure KCAD gets the best.
Balancing STEAM was a collaborative project led by the Art Education Team of Donna St. John and Kristen Morrison. Brad Yarhouse, Bill Fischer and I went to Rockford High School to lead a workshop on Balancing STEAM. The high school students collaborated on balance in design and architecture and were then brought to KCAD for the Collaborative ARTPrize Project exhibited in the Lobby at KCAD.
Brain Research by Donna St. John Attended Professional Development Session and then introduced brain theories into the Pro Studio Courses to discuss Lesson Plans for Middle School for Miner Madness Game.
In 2017 I worked with Communications and collaborated with Bill Fischer for the needs for Graduation Slides
I worked with our DAD faculty and Communications to provide images for the Digital Art and Design Reel which is used as a tool for recruitment.
Video done by Communications about KCAD creativity I participated in.
Charles Herndon – Visiting Artist for Sculpture:
Charles was my sculpture teacher at CCAD where we carved many stones on the same wet table. I was delighted that Natalie Wetzle brought him in and that I was able to welcome him to KCAD.
Editing of Video interview of James Suhr:
James visited KCAD in 2014, I assisted in the Video that was made to archive his talk and collaboration with KCAD student Ed Kindsvater who is specializing in storyboarding and is mentored by James Suhr, storyboard artist and animator for Nickelodeon and now Disney on the series Tangled. Kasey McCargar did the editing – I gathered images as they were appropriate for the content and helped in the direction.
Editing of Video interview of Jessica Bradham and Coordinating Visit and Portfolio reviews:
Jessica was a visiting artist, a KCAD alum who works as an animator at School Zone Publishing Company she showed us the process the industry uses to rig and animate for puppeted character animation for apps for children. Jessica is now an adjunct in the Digital Media program teaching Digital Imaging I, and will teach Digital Imaging II and Animation and Motion Graphics I.
Writing Center Video
- Worked with writing center staff to create the outline.
- I did the video interview to discuss how DM students can use the writing center to help define their work.
- We have seen improved writing for storyboarding when students use the writing center.
Digital Color Settings Site
Maintain Color Settings Standards for Web and Print on the site and shared with other programs like drawing, graphic design, illustration and fashion. This site got transitioned to the DLC where all tutorials and guides are housed now.