St Joseph’s Catholic School has close links with the Holy Angels Catholic Church which is situated just over the road. We celebrate Mass once every 2 weeks on Wednesdays throughout the term and on a Sunday once per term. Children are involved in various roles within these masses whenever possible.
The roll currently includes a cultural mix of Maori, Chinese, Indian, Filipino and European. Parents, whānau and the wider community have a close partnership with the school.
St Joseph's has a strong involvement with both the local Matamata community and the network of Catholic Schools throughout East Waikato i.e. Te Aroha, Paeroa, Morrinsville, Waihi and Hamilton.
Through these connections we have involvement in a variety of sporting and academic events e.g.
- Inter-school Swimming (Matamata and Catholic)
- Interschool Athletics (Catholic)
- Interschool Cross-Country (Matamata);
- Matamata District Digi Awards,
- Winter sports Day (Matamata)
- Cotter Cup Tournament (Matamata)
- Ag Day (Te Poi)
We also take the opportunity to be involved in community events:
- entertaining at the local Friendship Circle in conjunction with the Catholic Women's League
- entertaining at the Kingswood Rest Home each term
- laying of a wreath and involvement in Anzac services
- singing in the annual Christmas Choir 2017
The local town pool is used for daily swimming lessons in Term One
KAAHUI AKO / COMMUNITY OF LEARNING
We are a member of the Matamata Kaahui Ako (Community of Learning) which aspires for all of our learners to be successful learners and all of our teachers to be effective teachers through the realisation of our Mission Statement: “Ma te kaha, te mahitahi me te mana hei whaangai te ara o te matauranga” Strengthen, collaborate and empower to foster the pathway of learning.