St Gerrans and Porthscatho
Old Cornwall Society
Kuntellewgh an brewyon eus gesys na vo kellys travyth
Gather up the fragments that are left that nothing be lost
Wednesday 8 May 2019 - Evening Visit to St Anthony in Roseland
6pm - 8pm Wednesday 8th May 2019
Meet at Gerrans Car Park, Treloan Lane
During the Evening Visit we shall visit the Battery, Lighthouse and Drake’s Well at St Anthony, as well as looking at items of interest at Place, including the House, Creek, Cellars and Church. If time permits, we shall then go on to Bohortha and Froe. We are very grateful to Hilary Thompson and Nev Meek for composing the notes to guide us for the evening. Parking at the sites we are visiting is very limited and so we shall be travelling by Roseland Community Bus. Advance booking is therefore essential to secure your place.
Objectives of the St Gerrans and Porthscatho Old Cornwall Society
· To collect, record and share information about Cornish history, place-names, folk-lore, traditions, dialect, music, industries etc.
· To protect the natural beauty of Cornwall
· To encourage the study and use of the Cornish Language
· To preserve Cornish Antiquities and relics of the past
Members of the Society work tirelessly to collect, record and promote all aspects of the rich Cornish history and culture.
In order to promote Cornish culture, the Society:
· Manages projects to survey and preserve sites of historic interest
· Publishes pamphlets, booklets and other material
· Holds cultural events, e.g. St Piran’s Day Celebration, Crying the Neck, Feast Day Celebrations
· Holds a series of monthly talks between October and May
· Organises visits to sites of historic interest each summer
If you have additional relevant information, documents, photos, illustrations or objects please contact the Recorder: Nev Meek 01872 581817
If you would enjoy the challenge of contributing to a dynamic, Roseland based, cultural organisation, please contact our Membership Secretary for more information: Jean Rigley 01872 501838