Electronics & Logic Introduction
Workshop and Hands-On Labs
This is the planning page and eventually the real page for this work shop. This workshop can be a super fast 3 hour evening event or 4-5 day workshop, focused on learning some logic principles. There is a touch of basic electronics, like how a bread board works. I throw in some resistors as part of series circuit theory... just enough to understand how a voltage divider works, so you can understand how a 55 timer works... same for some simple transistor theory... and how it can be used as a switch. Then we jump right into Digital Logic, with a study of AND, OR, NOR and XOR gates, and build up to a simple register based ALU system, with a 7seg LED and decoder along the way. The modules linked in this workshop are typically links to deeper dives of material I teach in my High School Mechatronics Engineering class, or quick overviews of broader presentations . I'll try to have links to "Dig Deeper", where you can continue your learning.
- Who Is Mr. Burnham And What is this Mechatronics Engineering Stuff All About?
- Email - JBURNHAM@METROED.NET
- What is Mechatronics Engineering?
- What is the Class Like At SVCTE? Watch this later... I'll send you an email...
- Tell me a bit about yourselves - Workshop Questionnaire
Modules & Resources:
- Flash an LED on a bread board - This module is an overview on how a breadboard works and how to connect a simple LED series circuit. It will cover some concepts of creating a series circuit and how the current flows through it.
- Flash an LED on a bread board - <more intro>
- What is an Resistor, and how does it work?
- What is an LED, and how does it work?
- LEDs - Spark Fun (there is an error on this page in the flow chart description, can you find it?)
- Ohms Law and simple series circuits
- Intro To TinkerCAD
- Electronics Research Project
- Resistors, Capacitors, Potentiometer , PhotoResistors, Transistors, LED, Relay, Pick Something...
- Voltage Divider - Deep dive into Ohm's Law
- Using a Transistor as a Switch
- Relays - Controlling Bigger Voltage
- 555 Timers
- DIP Chip Introduction
- Logic Gates Introduction
- SR Latch, D Latch, D Flip/Flop
- Counting with a 74LS191
- led and bread boards
- basic gates
- 555 timer clock
- gate mux
- use a loadable counter
- Flash an LED on a bread board
- Basic Electronics
- Resistor Lab
- Ohms Law
- Electronic Components Research Project
- 555 Timer Clock
- More Fun with 555 Timers
- Binary Numbers - Lets Play A Game
- Basic Logic
- AND & OR Gate Lab
- Reading Data sheets
- S/R Latch
- Clocks & Flip/Flops
- Clocks & Counters
- More Transistors
- Motors Research Project
- Spinning Stuff
- Putting it all together