I am a Associate Professor (Reader in the UK, Full Professor in North America) in Artificial Intelligence at RMIT University (Melbourne, Australia) and member of the Intelligent Agents Group within the School of Computer Science and IT. I did my PhD and M.Sc in the Cognitive Robotics Group at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Canada) on topics related to the Golog family of agent programming languages and reasoning about action and change. Before that, I got my BSc in Computer Science at Universidad Nacional del Sur in Bahia Blanca, Argentina.
My research falls in the following sub-areas of Artificial Intelligence which are closely related to the problem of practical reasoning (the general task of resolving, through reflection, the question of what to do):
- Knowledge representation and reasoning.
- Reasoning about action and change.
- Automated planning.
- Intelligent agent systems.
In a nutshell, my research seeks better representation models and reasoning techniques (i.e., algorithms) for intelligent agent systems to make decisions in complex dynamic environments (e.g., controllers for UAVs, elevators, smart houses, or even NPCs in video games). In those cases, an controller-agent must plan, verify, execute, monitor, and reconsider its actions. Programming such controllers in standard languages (like C++ or JAVA) becomes a difficult, cumbersome, and error prone systems, so we look for better high-level representation and more powerful reasoning-executor algorithms.
- Are you interested in applying for PhD at RMIT under my supervision? If so, read this.
- Are you an RMIT student interested in doing some programming within a research project? If so, check this.
- Are you an BP232 RMIT student who wants to talk about your program? If so, you need to contact the new BP232 Program Coordinator Prof. Zahir Tari.
I generally teach the following courses: 1st year COSC2627/2627 Discrete Structures, 2nd year COSC1107/1105 Computing Theory, 3rd year COSC1125/1127 Artificial Intelligence and COSC1204/20148 Agent-oriented Programming & Design electives.
I have recently organized (or I am organizing) the following events:
- Exhibition Chair for IJCAI'17.
- Tutorial Program at AAMAS'16 (together with David Pynadath).
- Student Scholarship program at AAMAS'15 (together with Gita Sukthankar)
- Student Scholarship Co-chair at AAAI'15 (together with Daniele Magazzeni and Sriraam Natarajan)
- KiBP'12 workshop at KR'11; co-chair with Massimo Mecella and Arthur H.M. ter Hofstede.
- AI'12 Conference; Publicity Chair.
- NRAC'11 workshop at IJCAI'11; co-chaired with Stavros Vassos, Pavlos Peppas, Andreas Herzig.
- DALT'11 and DALT'10 workshop at AAMAS'11 and AAMAS'10; co-chaired with Andrea Omicini and Wamberto Vasconcelos..
- ProMAS'08 workshop at AAMAS'08; co-chaired with Koen Hindiks & Alexander Pokahr.
- "Action and Belief Change" track at NMR'08 workshop (collocated with CP&ICAPS in Sydney); co-charied with Dongmo Zhang.
I also participate as PC or SPC for various AI scientific events, including IJCAI, AAAI, ICAPS, KR, and AAMAS. See Professional Activities for details.