SpeakOut 2019-2020 Year
SpeakOut is a participatory co-op; all parents play an active role in weekly meetings and administrating club needs. The club year begins in August and ends in May. Currently, weekly meetings alternate between speech and debate training and are held on Wednesday afternoons from 2:00-5:00. We meet at Colonial Baptist Church in Cary. Members of SpeakOut agree to a Statement of Faith and belong to an evangelical, Bible-teaching church. Senior competitors must be 12-18 years of age on September 1st of the competition year. Families with a senior competitor may enroll siblings in our junior speech club. Junior competitors must be 9 by the same date. There may be a child care option for those under the age of 9, but that will be decided based on the need once registration has been completed.
SpeakOut students hone their speaking and critical thinking skills at the Novice and Varsity Level. During the fall semester, they attend interactive classes and work groups in preparation for the spring tournament season. Tournaments allow students to test and refine their new-found and developing skills through competition.
Registration for the 2019-2020 School Year
- Registration is now CLOSED.
- Please note - Your full participation in SpeakOut is essential your first year of club. Any children attending with you must be 5 or older. SpeakOut does not offer a childcare option for children under 5 years old.***
SpeakOut Yearly Membership Dues (2019/2020):
- Senior Club Dues Speech (per student): $25 each
- Senior Club Dues Debate (per student): $25 each
- Junior Club Dues (per student): $15 each- Junior club meets on Speech Weeks ONLY, we do not offer Jr. Debate.
- Family Maximum $115 (total of above dues, does NOT include administrative fees or optional membership dues below)
Additional Fees 2019/2020
- Per Student: Annual Colonial Homeschoolers Fee $10.00
- Per Family: Annual Colonial Background Check Fee: $10.00
- Per Family: New Member Registration Fee: $25
- Per Novice Family: NCFCA Speech Workbook: $20.00 (This purchase is required but not made by SpeakOut. No fee will be collected. Individual families purchase the material for themselves)
- Optional - If your student participates in the Apologetics or Extemp club, there may be additional membership dues associated with these clubs.
NCFCA Yearly Affiliation Fees
In addition, families are required to affiliate with our national organization, the NCFCA, before September 15th. Affiliation opens on June 1st with a preseason rate of $100. Rates increase on August 1st; these fees are regulated by the NCFCA not SpeakOut.
Tournament events span three days of competition. Families should anticipate costs related to event registration, possible travel, lodging, meals, and tournament attire requirements. Members are required to attend one sanctioned NCFCA event per year.