Structure Preserving Discretizations: FEMs, Splines, and IGA
May 31-June 1, 2019
This conference will discuss the current trends and intersections of smooth structure preserving discretizations with finite element analysis, multivariate splines, isogeometric analysis, and interpolating and geometric modeling in algebraic geometry.
- Hugo Casquero, Carnegie Mellon University
- John Evans, University of Colorado Boulder
- Guosheng Fu, Brown University
- Johnny Guzman, Brown University
- Ming-Jun Lai, University of Georgia
- Carla Manni, University of Rome Tor Vergata
- Hal Schenck, Iowa State University
- Larry Schumaker, Vanderbilt University
- Tatyana Sorokina, Towson University
- Nelly Villamizar, Swansea University
- Shangyou Zhang, University of Delaware
- Yongjie Jessica Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University
Meeting place and schedule
The conference will be held on the campus of University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA. All sessions will be held in Thackeray Hall, Room 704. Directions can be found below.
Both the Friday and Saturday sessions will be held from 9am-5pm
A block of rooms at the Residence Inn (6 blocks away) has been reserved from 5/30-6/2 at a special rate of $100/night. Please use the code 'Structure Preserving Conference' when reserving the room to obtain this rate.
Other lodging options available include
The Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is 20.5 miles away from the University of Pittsburgh (25-45 minutes driving time depending on the time of day). There are several options to get to campus from the airport.
- Yellow Cab (412-321-8100). The average taxi fare from the airport to campus is approximately $45.
- Express Shuttle Service (1-800-991-9890). A shuttle service between the airport and the downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland areas. The fare is $25 one way and $43 round trip.
- SuperShuttle (1-800-258-3826). Another shuttle service that serves the airport and the Oakland/Downtown area.
- Public Bus Transportation with Port Authority Transit 28X Airport Flyer. The trip cost is $2.75 one way. The bus runs every 30 minutes from the airport at gate #6, and the duration of the trip is typically 50 minutes. See the flyer for more details.
See this link for general driving directions to the University of Pittsburgh.
If you need to park on campus, you might want to park at the following garages:
- Soldiers and Sailors (SO): The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $7; 4-6 hours $8; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $12; Over 10 hours $14.
- O'Hara (OH) : The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $8; 4-6 hours $9; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $14; Over 10 hours $17.
- All garages are listed on this map.