Structure Preserving Discretizations: FEMs, Splines, and IGA
May 31-June 1, 2019
This conference will discuss the current trends and intersections of smooth structure preserving discretizations with finite element analysis, multivariate splines, isogeometric analysis, and interpolating and geometric modeling in algebraic geometry.
Speakers and Talks
Carnegie Mellon University
The divergence-conforming immersed boundary method
Meeting place and schedule
The conference will be held on the campus of University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA. Friday's session will be held in the Frick Fine Arts Building, Room 202. Saturday's session will take place in the Frick Fine Arts Auditorium. Directions to the Frick Fine Arts Building are below.
Friday's session is from 8:45am-4:05pm and Saturday's session is from 9:00am-5:00pm
A block of rooms at the Residence Inn (6 blocks away) has been reserved from 5/30-6/2 at a special rate of $100/night. Please use the code 'Structure Preserving Conference' when reserving the room to obtain this rate.
Other lodging options available include
The Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is 20.5 miles away from the University of Pittsburgh (25-45 minutes driving time depending on the time of day). There are several options to get to campus from the airport.
- Yellow Cab (412-321-8100). The average taxi fare from the airport to campus is approximately $45.
- Express Shuttle Service (1-800-991-9890). A shuttle service between the airport and the downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland areas. The fare is $25 one way and $43 round trip.
- SuperShuttle (1-800-258-3826). Another shuttle service that serves the airport and the Oakland/Downtown area.
- Public Bus Transportation with Port Authority Transit 28X Airport Flyer. The trip cost is $2.75 one way. The bus runs every 30 minutes from the airport at gate #6, and the duration of the trip is typically 50 minutes. See the flyer for more details.
If you need to park on campus, you might want to park at the following garages:
- Soldiers and Sailors (SO): The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $7; 4-6 hours $8; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $12; Over 10 hours $14.
- O'Hara (OH) : The rates are 0-1 hour $4; 1-2 hours $5; 2-4 hours $8; 4-6 hours $9; 6-8 hours $10; 8-10 hours $14; Over 10 hours $17.
- All garages are listed on this map.