Soko Gakuen Japanese Language School
1881 Pine Street, San Francisco, California 94109
Semester: Fall 2019 9/14/2019 – 1/25/2020
Class: Beginning 1&2 Location: Room 101
Teacher: Chris Leger E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Day & Time: Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon
At the end of the semester, the student should be able to:
- Play with other children and enjoy studying Japanese.
- Understand Japanese sentences used by the teacher.
- Memorize, read, and write the 50 Kana sounds.
- Carry on simple Japanese dialogues.
- Learn and use nouns for everyday objects.
- Count from 1 to 50 in Japanese.
- Speak Japanese with friends.
Textbooks & Materials:
- Yasashii Nihongo Elementary Japanese. (1994.) The California Association of Japanese Language Schools. Tokyo, Japan: Seibido.
- Handouts, picture books, Hiragana cards, and Origami etc.
Evaluation & Rewards:
At the end of the semester:
- The student's listening, speaking, reading, spelling, penmanship, and communication skills will be evaluated with the following letter grade: A = 90-100, B = 80-89, C = 70-79, D = Needs Attention, and F = Failure. Homework, attendance, punctuality, attention, effort, motivation, manners, and responsibility will be evaluated by the following letter grade: E = Excellent, S = Satisfactory, U = Unsatisfactory. See the Report Card if necessary.
- A final exam will be given.
3. Awards: KAIKINSHO (Perfect Attendance Award) will be given to any student who has had perfect attendance during the academic year, and SEIKINSHO (Good Attendance Award) to any student who has had only 1 or 2 absences during the academic year. DORYOKUSHO (Effort Award) may be given to any student whose effort throughout the academic year was laudable.
The instructor will make use of the following each week to retain language comprehension.
- Year, Month, Day, Days of the Week, Weather
- Numbers: From 1 to 50
- Greetings (Ohayou gozaimasu, Sayounara, Arigatou, etc.)
- Action Verbs (Tatsu, Suwaru, Shizuka ni suru, Kasu, Taberu, Nomu, Yomu, Kaku, Kiku, Miru, Iku, Noru, Kuru, etc.)
- Kana syllables (Gojuuon, 50 sounds/characters)
- Karutatori (learned nouns and Hiragana will appear in Karuta card games)
- Picture Books
- Seasonal Events (Halloween, Christmas, Oshogatsu, Setsubun, etc.)
Notes to Parents:
- Students will receive homework assignments every week. Please help them check their work with the homework checklist, as well as their weekly quizzes and classwork (graded quizzes and tests will be returned to students the following week).
- During recess, students will go to the gym. Please have them wear gym shoes.
- We have snack time between 10:15-10:30 after gym time. Please let your children bring their own snacks (healthy, natural snacks are encouraged).
- Please have your children bring a basic 1-inch, 3-ring binder with their name and 4 tab dividers. Their class work, weekly quizzes, and homework will be filed along with their score sheet and a homework check sheet – please sign this each week.
- The instructor will follow the class schedule (see next page).
- Between 10:00 and 10:15, pupils and instructors will engage in physical activities in the gym to encourage kinetic development. This will also help to lessen stress and anxiety in the students.
Calendar/ Weekly Schedule (Tentative)
Week 1 (Sep. 14) P3 Beginning of 1st Semester Introduction, Greetings, Review
Week 2 (Sep. 21) P12 Review, Kyoshitsu no Nihongo
Week 3 (Sep. 28) P13 - P15 Things To Do In the Morning (...masu)
Week 4 (Oct. 5) P13 - P15 Things To Do In the Morning (...masu)
Week 5 (Oct. 12) P16 Question (masuka?) Negative (masen)
Week 6 (Oct. 19) P17 – P20 *OPEN HOUSE* Counting People (Hitori, futari…)
Week 7 (Oct. 26) P21, 23, 28 Let’s… (…mashou)
Week 8 (Nov. 2) P22 – P23 Verb Past (…mashita)
Week 9 (Nov. 9) P25 – P27 Want to…(…tai)
Week 10 (Nov. 16) P25 – P27 Want to…(…tai)
Week 11 (Nov. 23) P29 – P32 Let’s do….(…wo shimashou)
(Nov. 30) Thanksgiving Holiday * * * NO CLASS * * *
Week 12 (Dec. 7) P33 – P34 Telephone, Review1 (for Final)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Winter Break ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Week 13 (Jan. 11) First Class Day of the Year Review2 (Study for Final Exam)
Week 14 (Jan. 18) Final Exam
Week 15 (Jan. 25) End of 1st Semester