Hello! I am Sohom Ghosh, a passionate Data Detective and aspiring to be a Data Ninja.
My passion for Data Science drives me to solve "mysteries" (problems) relating to it. I enjoy indulging myself more on practice than on theory. I love to "Deal with Data" and work on projects relating to Text Analytics, Deep / Machine Learning & Recommendation Systems.
I aspire to contribute to high quality research in the field of Data Science which will elevate technological progress. I believe that I have "miles to go before I sleep" to leave behind "footprints on the sands of time".
Presently, I am working as a Senior Analyst (Data Scientist) at the Artificial Intelligence Centre of Excellence of Fidelity Investments, Bangalore.
- Senior Analyst (Data Scientist) at Fidelity Investments, Bangalore. At Fidelity, we are harnessing the power of AI and Big Data for improving users' experience during Personal Investments [Jun 2019 - Present] .
- Data Scientist at Times Internet, Noida; Informing, Enabling and Entertaining 450+ million unique monthly visitors worldwide across 39+ digital products (Gaana, Times of India, Economic Times, Cricbuzz, MX Player, Indiatimes etc.) [Jan 2017 - Jun 2019].
- Analyst (Big Data & Machine Learning) at FN MathLogic , Gurgoan; Worked on Text Analytics, Statistical Modelling & related domains [Apr 2016 - Jan 2017].
- Worked on Data Mining, Social Network Analysis based Recommendation Systems and Text Analytics under the supervision of Dr. Dinabandhu Bhandari, Dr. Aparna Basu and Dr. Partha Basuchowdhuri at Heritage Institute of Technology [Dec 2013 - May 2016].
- Summer Research Internship on Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics under the guidance of Dr. Susmita Mitra at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata [Jun - Jul 2015].
- Worked as Research Intern (External) on Text Mining under the guidance of Dr. A C Mondal & Mr. S Modak at The University of Burdwan [Jul - Dec 2014].
- Taught Big Data Analytics at Novel Research & Development India (P) Ltd., Kolkata [Sep 2015 - Jan 2016]
- Taught Computer Applications to ex-students of Suriyakiran as part of Rotaract Club of Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata [Jan - April 2015].
- Secretary at ACM Student Chapter of Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata [Mar - Aug 2014].
- S Ghosh, D Gunning "Natural Language Processing Fundamentals" , Packt Publishing, (Book Chapters 1-4) [Mar 2019].
- A Mitra, S Ghosh, P Basuchowdhuri, M K Shekhawat and S K Saha, "Recommendation system based on product purchase analysis" in Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering (A NASA Journal), Springer London, ISSN : 1614 - 5046 (Print), ISSN: 1614 - 5046 (Online), DOI 10.1007/s11334-016-0274-x .
- S Gurung, S Ghosh, J Jaiswal, P Basuchowdhuri, ”Extraction and Analysis of Publication Data of Conferences”, in proceedings of 2nd IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communication Engineering [ICACCE-2015], pp 588-593, ISBN: 978-1-4799-1734-1/15, DOI 10.1109/ICACCE.2015.21 . [ppt]
- S Ghosh, A Mitra, P Basuchowdhuri, S K Saha, ”Analysis of Online Product Purchase and Predicting Items for Co-purchase” in proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computing, Networking, and Informatics  Vol-1, Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies Vol 43, Springer Verlag [ISSN: 2190-3018]. [ppt]
- S Ghosh, S Modak, A C Mondal, ”A Model of Opinion Mining to Compute Score from Curriculum Vitae"(abstract) in proceedings of 22nd West Bengal State Science and Technology Congress 2015[WBSSTC-2015], pp IRES-11, North Bengal University Press[28th Feb - 1st Mar 2015]. [ppt]
- S Ghosh, P Basuchowdhuri and A Basu, ”Emergence of Collaboration in 60 years of Computer Science” (poster) presented at 11th International Conference on Webometrics, Informetrics and Scientometrics (WIS) and the 16th COLLNET Meeting 2015 [26 - 28th November 2015]. [ppt]
- Working on improving users' search experience during personal investments using Natural Language Processing and Recommendation System techniques [June 2019 - Present].
- Participating in various Data Science Hackathons [Profiles: Kaggle, GitHub].
- Worked on various Analytics projects: Sales Analytics (Upsell, Cross-sell, Churn Model), Digital Product Analytics, B2B Cross-walk Analytics, Fraud Analytics in affiliate marketing, Chatbot prototype development, Data Engineering, Deployed Machine Learning models in production, Content based Video Recommendation System (prototype) [Jan 2018 - Jun 2019].
- Built machine learning based models to detect click bait articles [Jan 2019 - Mar 2019].
- Presented insights for impacting business decisions by analyzing interest graphs & behaviours of 450M+ monthly visitors across 39+ digital products (Gaana, Times of India, Economic Times, MX Player, CricBuzz etc.) [Jan 2018 - Mar 2019].
- Developed predictive model using PySpark to target emails. Deployed it on Hadoop cluster, Outcome: increased open rate of emails [Dec 2017 - June 2018]
- Worked on various Data Science projects (like skills recommendation system, recruiter churn model and many others) for enhancing the capabilities of #IndiasMostLovedCEO at Times Jobs [Jan 2017 - Nov 2017].
- Deep Learning based Sentiment Analysis on Movie Reviews using word2vec under the supervision of Dr. Dinabandhu Bhandari [Mar - Jun 2016]. [code]
- Solving Real Life Problems using Machine Learning Techniques under the supervision of Dr. Dinabandhu Bhandari, [April 2015 - May 2016].
- Prediction of Cancellations of Taxi Reservations under the supervision of Dr. Sushmita Mitra [June - Aug 2015].
Selected Data Science Challenges - Hackathons
- Mini-Hack Machine Learning - Analytics Vidhya [code]
- Sarcasm Detection in Tweets - Analytics Vidhya [code]
- IndiaHacks - Machine Learning Hacker Earth [code]
[Other projects are showcased on GitHub]
- Learning from MOOCs
- Participating in Data Science Challenges / Hackathons
- Playing Mouth-organ