Sioux Falls to Flandreau Saturday, June 2
47 miles (62 miles on Optional route to MN border)
Text "RASDAK" to (605) 269-0943 to receive weather emergencies and other significant info throughout the week
This route will show off the scenic Big Sioux River Valley and the communities of Baltic, Dell Rapids, Trent, and Egan before arriving at the Royal River Casino in Flandreau. Flandreau is home of the Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe (FSST). The FSST are descendants of “Mdewakantonwan”, a member of the Isanti division of the Great Sioux Nation, and refer to themselves as Dakota, which means friend or ally. They are also one of 9 recognized tribes in SD. http://santeesioux.com/
Sioux Falls (mile 0) Scheels Ice Plex
9:00 am Registration for unregistered riders
- Check-in for pre-registered riders from 2-7 PM at the Royal River Casino in Flandreau.
- The luggage truck will be there from 9-10 AM to haul your luggage to Flandreau.
- Sage prayer bundles handed out: Lily Mendoza, will be providing sage bundles this morning, and at check in, for a free will donation. If you are riding in memory of someone, and you wish for your sage bundle to be taken to Bear Butte, Lily will be collecting them at the entrance of the Park. Lily is a member of the Red Ribbon Society, which helps indigenous families who have lost family members due to violence. She is riding with us on Saturday to raise money and awareness for this cause.
- Mandatory talk on bike safety on SD highways. Know the rules!! Route departure as soon as the talk is over.
Strawbale Winery (mile 5) two blocks east off the route on GRAVEL
A unique straw bale constructed winery. Tucked away between a 100-year-old barn, shelter belt, and grape vines, this winery, its farm setting and surroundings may remind you of a simpler time. They will be opening early for us, at 10 am.
Baltic (mile 14) Classic Corner convenience store (Sweep 11:00)
Baltic (mile 16) Baltic Corner Bar and Grill (Sweep 11:45)
A bar and grill that has been serving customers since 1935. They are opening early on June 2 to serve Rasdakians.
Dell Rapids (mile 27) (Sweep 1:00)
Dell Rapids is known as one of the one of the most distinctive and colorful communities in South Dakota. The city is named after the Dells of the Wisconsin River, which were likened to the local rapids on the Big Sioux River. Our route takes us past these rapids where the Big Sioux flows between 40-foot quartzite walls. It also has a great walking tour showing off the three blocks that are registered in the Register of Historic Places. This area is a block off of our route so it will be convenient to check out the tales on these historic trails!
- Monkey’s Bar and Grill (south of the route) - A local Dell Rapids Bar famous for their Monkey Balls & Poker Runs. Home of the Dead Monkeys, famous food & good beer.
- T & C Other place - Convenience store on the route
- Dell Rapids Museum - step back in time at the and see what it was like to shop back in the first half of the 20th century. http://www.cityofdellrapids.org/index.asp?SEC=95095318-22AA-4FFF-BDD5-A9A746D0B758&Type=B_BASIC
LUNCH STOP -- Trent (mile 35) (Sweep 2:30). Options are
- Steve’s Bar and Grill
- The Western Spirit and Cowboy Festival. Instead of the $20 admission ticket, RASDAKians can get in for $5. There will be an area roped off north of the Trent Event Center for bicycles. Indian tacos and BBQ
11:00 Ron and Jane Cote (Musicians who sing Songs of the Real West)
1:00 Sherwin and Pam Linton (Western music performers)
2:30 Andy Nelson (Cowboy poet and humorist)
Egan (mile 42) Blue Jays C-Store, Casino, Bar & Grill (Sweep 3:15)
MN border riders – No SAG services ON THE ROUTE from Egan to MN border to Flandreau. A SAG vehicle will be at the MN border (Sweep 3:00)
Flandreau (mile 47) Royal River Casino (mile 62 if take optional route to MN border)
- Indoor camping: Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe (FSST) Community Center
- Outdoor camping: South or West of Community Center
2:00-7:00pm CDT Check-in for pre-registered participants at Royal River Casino Event Hall
5:00-7:00pm CDT Dinner (Royal Room) $15.89 (with tax) prime rib buffet. Cash bar open 4:00pm – 9:00pm
7:00pm CDT RASDak Kickoff and Presentation (Royal Room in the Royal River Casino)
· Opening remarks and information from Kasey Abbott (tour director).
· Safety Discussion (Art Holden)
· Tribal Elder: stories of Bear Butte and Bear Lodge (Devils Tower).
Sunday morning breakfast (5:30-7:00am CDT) FSST Community Center - Fundraiser for FSST Community Center Youth Programs