Brian M Seymour
Seeking an opportunity to lead a school district with current and innovative technology and curriculum practices that will improve students’ achievement and create programs that will foster students’ college and career readiness through effectively integrating technology with curriculum and instructional practices.
Brian is currently the Director of Instructional Technology for Pickerington Local School District in Ohio. Brian is in the process of leading Pickerington Schools through a full district 1:1 implementation. Brian is also leading the district through a change in pedagogy to adopt a brand of blended learned they have termed “Tradigital Learning.” Brian was named the 2017 ITIPOhio Outstanding Tech Admin of the Year, also named the Ohio’s ISTE Making It Happen Award for 2017. Under Brian's leadership Pickerington Local Schools have been named a Distinguished District by The Learning Counsel and by District Administrator Magazine, for the work on changing the pedagogy towards a student-centered blended learning model. Brian was named one of the Connected Educators of 2014 by Battelle for Kids. Brian was a member of the White House’s CSforAll steering committee. Brian has also been named one of the ISTE Community Champions in assisting schools to integrate more tech into the classroom and will be a part of the ISTE teams for Technology Coordinators PLN and the Learning Spaces PLN.
Master’s Degree of Science in Geosciences - Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS (July 2008)
- Emphasis in geology, meteorology, astronomy, hydrology and climatology
Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Education - Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH (Dec 2001)
- Major - Comprehensive Science Education & Biology (dual-majors)
- Minors - Historical and Physical Geology, General Sciences
- Endorsement - Astronomical & Planetary Sciences
Superintendent License – 5-Year Professional License (7/2016 – 7/2021)
Administrative License – Principal 5-Year Professional License (7/2015 – 7/2020)
- Principal (4-9)
- Principal (5-12)
Credentialed Teacher Evaluator - Ohio Teacher Evaluation Process (8/2015 – 8/2017)
Professional Teaching License - 5-Year – Comprehensive High School (7/2015 – 7/2020)
- General Science (9-12)
- All Sciences (7-8)
- Biological Sciences (9-12)
- Earth Science (9-12)
Director of Instructional Technology (CTO, CIO, DTC):
Pickerington Local School District (August 2014 – present)
- Primary authority and accountability for the PLSD education and administrative technology
- Director of Informational Technology - Oversee and manage the PLSD Data Team including EMIS and Student Information Systems
- Lead strategic efforts to utilize technology in support of the District's mission and operations
- Leads technology department of 15 staff members
- Oversaw the District’s Data Team including EMIS and Student Information System.
- Creation of on-going ten-year plan for technology (devices, support, tools and professional development)
- Includes a 14-month roll out plan to allow the entire district to go 1:1
- Creation of blended learning pedagogy, called “Tradigital” Learning
- Works collaboratively with the PLSD Department of Teaching and Learning to integrate technology into the district's adopted curriculum.
- Leads district's professional development in technology integration into the classroom for all teachers and administrators
- District Assessment Coordinator for all assessments (common assessments, PARCC, Ohio's State Assessments, OAA, OGT)
- Creation of detailed data analysis reports for OAA, OGT, EXPLORE, PLAN and ACT assessments
- District lead for all media center learning environments
- District lead for K-12 Computer Science Pathway
- Manages Learn@PLSD, which created online professional opportunities for staff members through Coursera’s massively open online courses (MOOC)
- Coordinator of the Pickerington School Innovation Conference – yearly professional development conference
- Implemented and Facilitates PLSD's live streaming of district events and activities.
- Project Lead for three Straight A Grants - Innovation Generation, Math Matters, Project Fast Forward
- Member of the PLSD Ohio Improvement Process District Leadership Team
- Executive Committee Member, Steering Committee Member and District leader for Innovation Generation Ohio - Pre-Engineering and Biomedical pathways - www.innovationgenerationohio.com
- Facilitates the usage of numerous vendor instructional technology tools: Lightning Grader, Imagine Learning, Renaissance Learning, Brain Pop, Naviance, Study Island, Reading Eggs, ST Math, Illuminate Education, Gale Virtual Media Library, iTunes U, Overdrive
- Facilitated and organized numerous District-level committees – District Leadership Team, District Strategic Planning Team, Student Learning Objectives Committee, District Transformation Team, Student Growth Measures Committee, Common Assessment Creation Committee, Academic Program and Curriculum BOE Advisory Committee, Technology BOE Advisory Committee, Scheduling Committee (2008, 2013, 2015), LDPC Committee, Fairfield County Connect Ohio Committee
- Creation and adoption of PLSD Comprehensive Technology Plan, allowing for digital learning and 1:1
- Creation and implementation of blended learning model called "Tradigital Learning"
- Largest school district in Ohio to go completely 1:1 with all of our students (Pre-school - 12th Grade)
- 12,000 new devices into the hands of students and staff members
- Total upgrade of technology infrastructure (access points, switches and wiring)
- Creation of virtual reality kits and curriculum connections to allow for further engagement and real world teaching and learning.
- Innovation Generation grant – Mobile Fab Lab and Biomedical Innovation Laboratory
- ST Math grant – full adoption of ST Math pre-K through 8th grade
- Purchase and implementation of EdTech toys to further increase technology integration into the classrooms
- Transition of 11,000 students and 1,200 staff members to Google Apps for Education
- Adoption of online assessment platforms (Lightning Grader and Illuminate Education)
- Finalization of mounted projectors and sound systems in all classrooms district-wide
- Creation of summer EdTech Bootcamp – week long technology professional development courses
- Creation and Director of Pickerington School Annual Innovation Conference
- Development of first PLSD digital learning library
- Implementation of Illuminate Education DNA – data and assessment platform for all educators and students to store data and administer online assessments.
- Utilizing social media to curate a digital library from professional development opportunities.
- Creation and implementation of 1:1 Digital Learning Program for the entire District
- Creation of PickConnect – a partnership between PLSD and area businesses to allow students to access the businesses’ Internet.
- Creation of K-12 Computer Science Pathway
- Redesign and remodel of computer lab and media center spaces
Instructional Advisor, Department of Teaching & Learning:
Pickerington Local School District (September 2013 – August 2014)
- Teaching & Learning is responsible for leading the District (over 650 teachers & administrators) in the areas of curriculum, teaching and learning.
- District STEM Coordinator
- Facilitated the Student Learning Objective process and creation of over 115 Student Growth Measures
- Created detailed data analysis from student testing data
- Designed professional development courses and programs for teachers/administrators (K-12)
- Designed and organized professional development conference for the entire Pickerington Local School District staff (teachers and administrators), which included keynote address and 55 concurrent sessions.
- Developed Learn@PLSD, which created online professional opportunities for staff members through Coursera’s massively open online courses (MOOC)
- District Administrator of Instructional Improvement System (ThinkGate)
- iTunes U Site Administrator for Pickerington Local School District
- District representative for Innovation Generation Straight A Fund Innovation Grant, which created numerous bio-health related dual enrollment opportunities and created a mobile Fab Lab and engineering opportunities for students.
- Emphasis in areas of STEM, dual enrollment, career tech, instructional technology, gifted, limited English proficient
- Facilitated and organized numerous District-level committees – District Leadership Team, Student Learning Objectives Committee, District Transformation Team, Student Growth Measures Committee, Common Assessment Creation Committee, Academic Program and Curriculum BOE Advisory Committee, Scheduling Committee, Technology BOE Advisory Committee, Science Leadership Team and Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC).
- Served on Ohio Department of Education Science Next Generation Assessment Committee
Instructional Coach – Science:
Pickerington Local School District (August 2012 – September 2013)
- Instructional Coach, Data Analysis, Content Expert, Assessment Facilitator, Technology Advisor for 42 science teachers grades 7-12.
- Facilitated the creation of academic content standards for six elective science high school courses
- Facilitated the creation of essential outcomes for 23 science courses grades 7 – 12.
- Facilitated the creation and implementation of 12 common growth measure assessments.
- Created detailed data analysis reports for OAA, OGT, EXPLORE, PLAN and ACT assessments
- Collaborated with teachers to deconstruct Ohio Model Curriculum standards
- Led teacher professional development in: formative and summative assessments, college and career readiness skills, curriculum and content development, data analysis, implementation of new technology, growth measure assessments, OTES, literacy across the content areas
- Collaborated with numerous teachers to increase best teaching practices and classroom management skills
- Led numerous teachers through process of changing classroom environment from teacher-led to student-led.
- Served on numerous District-level committees - Student Learning Objectives Committee, Student Growth Measures Committee, Common Assessment Creation Committee, Academic Program and Curriculum BOE Advisory Committee, Scheduling Committee
- Served on ODE Science Next Generation Assessment Committee
Science Teacher, High School:
Pickerington Local School District (January 2002 – August 2012)
- Content - Earth Science, Physical Science, Paleontology & Astronomy (including Inclusion courses)
- Curriculum Development - Assisted in designing new curriculum (modeling) used in science department, assisted in designing new curriculum for Integrated Science course
- Extra-curricular - Sunny Side Up Peer Leadership Camp – Core Team Member, Student Council Advisor, Astronomy Club Advisor, Freshman Class Advisor, Freshman Action Challenge Experience (F.A.C.E.) Team Leader & Trainer, Assisted with Ski Club and Science Club
- Technology - Served as Assistant Webmaster for Pickerington High School North, Piloted numerous technology programs for district, served as a trainer for numerous technology initiatives.
ITSCO-WOSU Educational Advisory Council Steering Committee (March 2017 - Present)
- Influences ITSCO EdTech services, EdTech Conferences and educational best teaching practices in Ohio.
- Chair of Advisory Council and Steering Committee (March 2018 - present)
International Society for Technology in Education - ISTE (August 2016 – present)
- ISTE Community Champion
- Assisting new and current International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) in integrating technology into the curriculum through numerous Personalized Learning Networks (PLN).
- ISTE Technology Coordinators Professional Learning Network Team Leaders
- Assisted in planning professional development opportunities for PLN members via distance learning methods.
- ISTE Learning Spaces Professional Learning Network Team Leaders
- Assisted in planning professional development opportunities for PLN members via distance learning methods. Also coordinated communication and social media.
- ISTE Computer Science Professional Learning Network Team Leaders
- Assisted in planning professional development opportunities for PLN members via distance learning methods.
Pickerington Education Foundation Board Member (September 2013 – Present)
- Collaborative work to enrich, enhance and support the education process at Pickerington Local Schools
- The Foundation strives to serve as a catalyst for fostering opportunities to enrich the curriculum, instruction and extra-curricular activities of students, faculty, and staff.
OASSA Instructional Leadership Committee Member (July 2017 - present)
- Charged with the assignment of the agenda for the Instructional Leadership Conference and to promote the building administrator as an instructional leader.
Fairfield County "Future Connect" Broadband Committee (November 2016 - present)
- Committee of Fairfield County leaders looking to expand the broadband infrastructure into all areas of Fairfield County.
Pickerington Lakeview Cross Country and Track Field Head Coach (January 2002 – November 2012)
- Successful Cross Country Coach (1612 wins – 69 losses) for Pickerington Lakeview Junior High School
- Successful Track and Field Coach (500 wins – 39 losses) for Pickerington Lakeview Junior High School
- Site Manager for OHSAA Regional Cross Country (2003 – 2014) and Track and Field (2006-2009) Championships
Pelotonia Site Director (July 2012 – July 2016)
- Pelotonia is a grass-roots bicycle charity event that raises money for the James Cancer Research Center.
- Coordinate volunteers and implementation of Pickerington Pelotonia station.
AWARDS & HONORS
ISTE Making It Happen Award
The Making IT Happen award honors outstanding educators and leaders who demonstrate extraordinary commitment, leadership, courage and persistence in improving digital learning opportunities for students. The spirit of the Making IT Happen award supports our vision of a world in which all learners thrive, achieve and contribute.
Digital Schools District Survey - Top 10 Award Winner
National School Boards Association & The Center for Digital Education - This award recognizes exemplary use of technology by school boards and districts. Awarded to districts that most fully implement technology benchmarks in the evolution of digital education.
- NSBA and Center for Digital Education - Top Ten Award Winner (2018)
WOSU Distinguished District Award
WOSU Public Media wishes to recognize the most outstanding district in our community who demonstrates excellence and innovation in their educational practice.
- Distinguished District Award - WOSU Excellence in Education (2018)
The President’s Volunteer Service Award
Awarded by International Society of Technology in Education via the President of the United States of America for volunteer service in working with ISTE to promote and improve educational technology usage.
- The President’s Volunteer Service Award - ISTE & The White House (2018)
District of Distinction - District Administration Magazine
Districts of Distinction is a national recognition program to honor school districts that are leading the way with new ideas that work. District Administration magazine recognizes established initiatives that are yielding quantifiable benefits, and that could be replicated by other districts.
Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Award - Center for Digital Education
The Center for Digital Education, in collaboration with the International Society for Technology in Education - K-12 schools recognized by the Center for Digital Education are successfully using digital content and curriculum to improve instruction and student engagement.
- Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Award (DCCAA) (2017)
- Award Picture
- Award Certification
Digital Curriculum Strategy Award - The Learning Counsel
Award and national presentation to share with our elite audience the thought leadership you are providing on how to transition your school district into the new age of education.
Schools of TechXcellence Award - HP & District Administrator Magazine
Recognition program that honors schools that have implemented innovative, effective and replicable programs using technology to contribute meaningfully to student, instructional or operational success.
- Schools of TechXcellence Award - Using VR to Close the Achievement Gap (2018)
Future Ready Consortium (FutureReady.org)
PLSD’s technology plan was grounded in research from Future Ready, ISTE and other Edtech companies.
EdTech Digest - School Leader of the Year Finalist
Program that recognizes leaders in the field of educational technology that are pushing the limits and constantly innovating for the improvement of teaching and learning.
International Society for Technology in Education Personal Learning Network Awards
- Computing Teachers Network Excellence Award - Honorable Mention - 2017
- Recognizes an exceptional leader who is championing the cause of improved computer science and information technology education.
Future Ready Dashboard Completion Award
PLSD was one of 44 school districts national-wide to complete and utilize the Future Ready Dashboard to create a robust technology plan.
Distinguished Graduate Student Nominee
Was nominated by numerous professors as making a positive impact and bringing value to Ashland University
- Ashland University (2015)
One to One - Equals a Win Win - Ohio School Boards Association Journal
- Article about PLSD’s journey to becoming the largest school district in Ohio to go completely 1:1 with devices, and how the increase of technology as changed teaching and learning.
- Article Link
A Seamless Integration of Technology in Classrooms Makes for Effective Blended Learning
- Article and video from presentation about Pickerington’s Blended Learning model from the MIND Research’s Deeper Learning Symposium.
- Article Link
Profiles in Success: Pickerington Schools Move from Traditional to “Tradigital” Math Classrooms
- MIND Research profile in success showing the results of two-year study on using ST Math and changes in pedagogy in elementary and middle school math classrooms.
- Article Link
Pickerington Students Learn Coding Basics With Drones
- Article about PLSD's newly created K-12 computer science pathway with an emphasis on PLSD's middle school portion of the computer science pathway, in dealing with teaching coding and computational thinking by the use of drones.
- Article Link
Interactive Augmented Reality Sandbox In PLSD Junior High Schools
- Article about PLSD's use of the new emerging technology of augmented reality for students to interactively learn earth science principles.
- Article Link
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) - Member (2015 – present)
- Technology Coordinator PLN Board Member (April 2017 - present)
- Vice-President Elect (March 2017 - present)
- Learning Space PLN Board Member (May 2017 - present)
- Computer Science PLN Board Member (May 2017 - present)
Instructional Technology Integration Partnership of Ohio (ITIPO) - Member (2014 – present)
Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators (OASSA) - Member (2014 – present)
- Instructional Leadership Committee Member (2017-2019)
Association for the Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) - Member (2012 – present)
Association for the Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) OHIO Affiliate (2016-present)
MAJOR PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- October 1-3, 2014 – Pathways to Prosperity Conference at Harvard University
- June 15, 2015 – Battelle For Kids Connect for Success Conference in Columbus, OH
- June 22-23, 2015 – Future Ready Conference in Pittsburgh, PA
- January 15, 2016 – Pickerington School’s Innovation Conference in Pickerington, OH
- February 9-11, 2016 – Ohio Educational Technology Conference in Columbus, Ohio
- April 15, 2016 – Going One2One for PLSD Middle Schools in Pickerington, OH
- June 1 – 7, 2016 – Blended Learning Bootcamp in Pickerington, OH
- August 22, 2016 – Google Training for Support Staff in Pickerington, OH
- August 25 – 29, 2016 – ISTE National Conference in Denver, CO
- August 11, 2016 – Graham Schools Technology Conference in St. Paris, OH
- September 14/15, 2016 – The White House Summit on Computer Science for All in Washington, DC
- October 12, 2016 – The Ohio State University EdTech UnConference in Columbus, OH
- October 16-18, 2016 – RTM Educational/Technology Conference in Orlando, FL
- November 3, 2016 – ST Math Summit in Columbus, OH
- November 14, 2016 – Ohio School Boards Association Conference in Columbus, OH
- November 16/17, 2016 – Schools of the Future Symposium in San Diego, CA
- December 14, 2016 – ITSCO Technology Director UnConference in Columbus, OH
- December 15, 2016 – STEMication in Reynoldsburg, OH
- January 19, 2017 – Illuminate Education Regional Meeting in Pickerington, OH
- January 20, 2017 – Pickerington School’s Innovation Conference in Pickerington, OH
- January 25-27, 2017 – Mind Research Deeper Learning Symposium in Irvine, CA
- February 14-16, 2017 – Ohio Educational Technology Conference in Columbus, OH
- March 14 - Digital Learning Counsel Sustainability Project in Columbus, OH
- May 1/2, 2017 – ITIP Ohio Google Summit - Featured Session - in Sandusky, OH
- June 13, 2017 - Wildside Blended Learning Conference - Keynote Address - Columbus, OH
- June 24-28, 2017 – ISTE National Conference in San Antonio, TX
- October 5, 2017 - Google Educator Roundtable & District Showcase - Pickerington, OH
- October 24-25, 2017 - Pathways to Prosperity Conference at Harvard University
- October 26, 2017 - How Tech Leaders Can Empower District Leaders to be Successful - Online Webinar - with Illuminate Education
- November 1-3, 2017 - The Learning Counsel National Conference - Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
- November 14, 2017 - Ohio School Boards Association Capital Conference - Columbus, OH
- February 7, 2018 - ISTE Technology Coordinator Webinar - with Eric Sheninger
- February 13-15, 2017 - Ohio Educational Technology Conference - Columbus, OH
- February 18-20 - RTM CTO/CIO Conference - Atlanta, GA
- March 8, 2018 - The Learning Counsel Regional Event - Columbus, OH
- April 24, 2018 - ISTE Technology Coordinator Webinar - with Tom Murray
- June 23 - 27, 2018 - International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE) Conference - Chicago, IL
PRESENTATION WORK SAMPLES
TECHNOLOGY CERTIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Google Apps for Education Certification (2015)
- Certification in all Google Apps for Education Suite of tools, including Gmail, Drive, Hangouts, Chrome, Calendar, YouTube, Docs, Sheets, Slides and Classroom.
Google Certified Educator - Level 1 (2016)
- For educators who have learned the fundamentals of using Google tools in the classroom, this certification validates standard technology implementation skills
Google Certified Educator - Level 2 (2016)
- For educators who are super users and enthusiasts of Google tools in the classroom, the level 2 certification validates advanced technology integration skills.
Apple Teacher (2016)
- Professional learning certification designed to support and celebrate educators using Apple products for teaching and learning. Certification covers the Mac, the iPad and Apple software.
- Superior level of technology skills, including Apple, Chrome and Windows formats including Microsoft Office, Goggle Apps for Education, Apple iWork, and numerous other applications.
- Creation of podcasts (audio and video), wikis, blogs, online assessments, numerous templates
- Creation of a Learning Management System (LMS) for use district wide for district-level professional development and classroom use, later adoption of Google Classroom
- Google EDU Glass Pioneer and Innovator
- District-level administrator and trainer for Internet Information System (IIS), Google Apps for Education, Renaissance Place (STAR) and numerous other educational technology programs.
- Created and led thousands of hours of embedded, small group, large group and blended learning professional development.
Pickerington Schools' Path to 'Tradigital Learning" Slide Deck - For Staff Members
Pickerington Schools' Path to "Tradigital Learning" Slide Deck - For Formal Presentations