Mission Valley Group
1st Wednesdays of the month, 2:00 - 4:00 pm
First United Methodist Church, Music Room, 2111 Camino del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92116
Next Meeting: 2:00 pm, September 4, 2019
August 7, 2019
July 3, 2019
June 5, 2019
February 6, 2019
2:00 pm Introductions, new members, questions, upcoming events
2:15 pm Break-out groups (PD group in large room; CP group in library room)
3:15 pm Dr. Van Patten - introduces UCSD bioengineering program
3:30 pm Break into small groups (2 students plus 5 to 8 PD and CP)
4:00 pm END (small groups can continue to meet; schedule follow-up
Dr. Ryan Van Patten, a neuroscientist from UCSD, will introduce a bioengineering program at UCSD where students compete to conceive, design, build and test devices that help a PD patient in some relevant way or with an essential need.
THEY NEED OUR HELP!
Dr. Van Patten will bring some students with him and we will form small groups of PD patients and Care Partners to meet with students in small groups made-up of students, PD's, and CP's to help students learn and understand what the needs of the PD community are and 'brainstorm ideas.
January 2, 2019
Lindsay Zehren, MT-BC
Neurologic Music Therapist
Director of Special Projects
December 5, 2018
Speaker: Dan Thomas
In a slightly off-center message, Dan uses humor and a little magic to sort out the puzzle of living with Parkinson’s.
November 7, 2018
October 3, 2018
3. Guest speaker
Donna Wood: The Feldenkrais Method
The Feldenkrais Method
Donna Wood will introduce The Feldenkrais Method®, is a system of movement education in which gentle guided movement builds upon the natural harmony between one’s body, mind, and nervous system to improve posture, balance, and one’s ability to move with comfort and grace in their daily activities.
Donna Wood has been teaching and exploring the Feldenkrais Method for over 20 years.
September 5, 2018
1. Welcome, introductions (5 min)
2. News and updates (5 min)
3. Guest speaker(45 min)
4. Short break (10 min)
5. PWP and CP break-out sessions (50 min)
Sherrie Gould, NP, Scripps
You know Sherrie as the "Stem cell enthusiast". But today she will be speaking on a different topic
The objectives of her talk
- Introduce non motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease and more specifically delusions and hallucinations that are an extremely common occurrence in Parkinson's disease (over 50% of PWP's will experience this in some form in their lifetime).
- Describe the symptoms of PD hallucinations and delusions
- Explore how one can talk to their health care provider about their symptoms and establish a treatment plan
August 1, 2018
1. Welcome & Introductions
2. Announcements & Questions
3. Speaker: Phil Lindsley, San Diego Elder Law Center
June 6, 2018
May 9, 2018
Kevin Leinum, CSA
Certified Senior Care Advisor, Capstone Care Placement.
(619) 886-5665 email@example.com