Coping with Psychological and Emotional Distress During a Pandemic
Self-Help Guide, Recorded Interviews, and Direct Services Aimed at Managing Psychological Distress During This Difficult Time
If you need immediate service call the federal government's Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990. This is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster, including COVID.
Excellent Recent Articles Focused on MANAGING COVID RISKS
Our goal is to maximize the distribution of this document so please forward the webpage address
to anyone you believe who may find it useful -- including posting on social media, listservs, etc.
DIRECT PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC SERVICES AVAILABLE AT HOFSTRA CLINICS
The COVID-19 crisis has and will continue to impact the mental health and emotional well-being of countless individuals. To confront this unprecedented need, faculty and doctoral students in the Clinical Psychology Program at Hofstra University have mobilized to offer services to individuals, frontline workers, and children/adolescents of frontline workers.
RESOURCE FOR MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS --->
FREE CHILDREN'S BOOK FOR DOWNLOAD FROM THE INSTITUTE FOR DISASTER MENTAL HEALTH:
This book was designed to help children cope during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Interviews with Dr. William Sanderson
SEE LINKS BELOW
Thirty minute interview with Dr. William Sanderson who answers questions about the psychological impacts of the pandemic - Dr. William Sanderson, a professor of psychology and director of the Anxiety and Depression Clinic at Hofstra University, answered your questions about the psychological impacts of the coronavirus pandemic and how to deal with anxiety and depression. 4/21/20
Two webinars on the impact of COVID on mental health and strategies to cope.
4/14/20 WEBINAR RECORDING: https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/webinar-mental-health-1.43838664
4/24/20 WEBINAR RECORDING:https://www.newsday.com/news/health/coronavirus/webinar-mental-health-hofstra-chs-1.44054041
DR. SANDERSON'S PSYCHOLOGY TODAY BLOG POSTS RELATED TO COPING WITH THE COVID PANDEMIC:
Miscellaneous Coronavirus Information
Coronavirus Info Hotline: 1-888-364-3065• NYS Coronavirus response updates: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home• CDC, updates/information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html• CDC, What to do if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html
Crisis Situations:• Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for English; 1-888-628-9454 for Spanish• National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233• NYS Coalition Against Domestic Violence 1-800-942-6906• Child Abuse Hotline: 800-342-3720• SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 (English/Spanish); TTY: 1-800-846-8517• Veterans mental health/suicide hotline: 1-800-273-8255, or text 838-25
COVID-19 Volunteering:• Health care workers: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/get-involved-how-you-can-help• General Public, NYC: https://www.newyorkcares.org/projects/support-covid-19-relief-efforts• General Public, NYS: https://www.volunteernewyork.org/• Blood Donation site locator: https://donate.nybc.org/donor/schedules/zip
Peer Support:• Veterans Peer Support Call - DAILY at 1p.m. EST: 1-800-767-1750 x99873• NAMI-NYS helpline: 518-248-7634• Mental Health Empowerment Project warm line for people with mental illness: 1-800-643-7462• Alcoholics Anonymous online: http://aa-intergroup..org/directory.php
• Identifying Supports:If they are in NYC, 1-888-NYC-WELL or text “WELL” to 65173NY Connects, statewide social services finder: https://www.nyconnects.ny.gov/welcomeThe website Aunt Bertha (www..auntbertha.com) allows you to locate supports by zip code. Click here for instructions on using the site.NYS and nationwide health and human services information and referral: dial 2-1-1
• Employment-related:Unemployment: 1-888-209-8124COVID Emergency Paid Sick Leave: https://www.governor.ny.gov/paid-sick-leave-covid-19-impacted-new-yorkers/emergency-covid-19-paid-sick-leave, Hotline = 1-888-364-3065NYC Small Business Financial Relief: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/sbs/businesses/covid19-business-outreach.page
• Homelessness: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dhs/shelter/shelter.page
• Food Security:Food Help / Food Banks / Community KitchensFood banks/pantries locator:NYC: https://www.foodbanknyc.org/get-help/NYS: https://www.foodpantries.org/st/new_yorkAssistance with SNAP (food stamp): https://hungersolutionsny.org/find-a-noep/WIC (Women, Infant, Children) food assistance: https://hungersolutionsny.org/wic-help-ny/
• Income Related:NYC Cash Assistance: https://access.nyc.gov/programs/cash-assistance/, Infoline 718-557-1399Social Security and COVID: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/
• Health/Mental Health/Substance Use:Mental Health Treatment: OMH Customer Relations: 1-800-597-8481Substance Use Treatment: OASAS Treatment finder https://findaddictiontreatment.ny.gov/County Health Office finder: https://www.nysacho.org/directory/
• Seniors/Elderly:Senior service (senior centers, meals on wheels, etc) locator for NYC: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dfta/services/find-help.pageNYC Grocery Delivery for Elderly, Disabled: https://www.invisiblehandsdeliver.com/about-usCounty Offices for the Aging locator (scroll down for filters): https://aging.ny.gov/local-officesNY Connects, statewide social services finder: https://www.nyconnects.ny.gov/welcomeUS Administration on Aging Eldercare Locator: https://eldercare.acl.gov/Public/Index.aspx or 1-800-677-1116Dementia Support: Alzheimer’s Association web-page, “Coronavirus (COVID-19): Tips for Dementia Caregivers,” https://www.alz.org/help-support/caregiving/coronavirus-(covid-19)-tips-for-dementia-care
• Children:Talking with children about Coronavirus: CDC GuidelinesHelping Children Cope With Changes Resulting From COVID-19: NASP guidanceHow To Ease Children’s Anxiety About COVID-19: NAMI guidanceYoung Children and COVID – what to say, tips on home time: https://www.zerotothree.org/resources/3210-tips-for-families-coronavirusFamily Readiness and Child/Teen Anxiety: https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources/fact-sheet/outbreak_factsheet_1.pdfTaking Care of Your Family During Coronavirus: https://www.cstsonline.org/assets/media/documents/CSTS_FS_Corona_Taking_Care_of_Your_Family.pdf.pdfFree Pick-up Meals for NYC children locator: https://www.opt-osfns.org/schoolfoodny/meals/default.aspxDigital learning resources: http://www.nysed.gov/edtech/digital-content-resourcesBrooklyn Public Library, virtual storytime: https://www.bklynlibrary.org/calendar/list?age%5B0%5D=12986Virtual field trips: https://adventuresinfamilyhood.com/20-virtual-field-trips-to-take-with-your-kids.html
• Veterans:VA facility locator: VA locatorVeterans metal health/suicide hotline: 1-800-273-8255, or text 838-25