the WILLIS E. NOWELL EDUCATIONAL AWARD
We are pleased to announce that the Willis E. Nowell Educational Award is now accepting applications. This award, funded through private donations, is awarded in memory of Willis E. Nowell, a former resident of Shannondale, to help provide financial assistance to a Jefferson County resident wishing to further their education.
The purpose of this award is to continue Willis's passion for knowledge and community service. The knowledge Willis had about local history was second to none, and we are forever grateful that he documented so much of it on Shannondale and Beyond Inc., a community website and forum he co-founded, which you can visit at https://www.shannondale.org. In addition to encouraging the use of Saint Andrews Mountain Community Center, this humble webservant's civic activities included serving on various county and community boards.
Presented annually, the award will be given to an applicant in the local community who displays the traits that so many people admired in Willis--a strong work ethic, leadership qualities, and commitments to bettering their education and serving the local community.
As indicated in the rules, effective 2019, all applications must be postmarked by June 1, 2020, and the award will be announced on or before July 15, 2020.
A downloadable copy of the rules, including where to submit applications, as well as the application itself is available at the bottom of this webpage. You may download and print these documents at your convenience.
the WILLIS E. NOWELL EDUCATIONAL AWARD RULES
1. The recipient of a scholarship must be a resident of Jefferson County, West Virginia for at least two (2) years prior to applying.
2. An award of $1000 will be granted yearly. The Recipient will be notified no later than July 15.
3. Only one (1) scholarship will be granted to an applicant in a calendar year. Applicants may apply each year they are attending school. A new completed application is required.
4. Scholarships will be granted for attending an accredited college, professional, vocational, or technical program offered by an accredited institution. Students must be full-time students.
5. Applications shall be send directly to Shannondale and Beyond or St. Andrews Mountain Community Center.
SHANNONDALE & BEYOND, Inc., 144 Wild Dogwood Ln. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
SAMCCP, Inc. P.O. Box 611, Charles Town, WV 25414
If you need more assistance, please call Shannondale and Beyond President, Katherine Austin, 304-400-3912, or email@example.com .
6. The applicant shall submit, with the application, the following requirements for eligibility:
a. Two (2) current and signed letters of recommendation, one personal, and one academic. Personal/work reference shall be by an adult other than a family member. These must be signed.
b. A recent official transcript of grades
c. Copy of an official letter of acceptance or validation from the accredited school to be attended, or validations of attendance for those already in a program.
d. Twelve (12) Community service hours for any Jefferson County nonprofit entity.
e. An essay describing why you meet the criteria for the scholarship including information regarding your financial needs, academic interest, leadership/school activities, and community service. The essay must be a minimum of 500 words.
7. Completed applications with all elements must be postmarked June 1, 2018. The awarded scholarship will be paid directly to the student.
8. Scholarship recipients will be selected on the criteria of:
a. Academic information obtained in transcripts
b. Leadership/School Activities
c. Community Service
d. Essay describing why you meet the criteria for the scholarship including information regarding your financial needs, academic interest, leadership/school activities, and community service.
A hard copy of these rules along with an application are listed below for your convenience for downloading.