Lesson 01 第一课
The Bible tells us what God is like and that
He alone existed before everything and everyone else.
Scripture: Genesis [创世纪] 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
1. God begins His story with these words, “In the beginning.”
God began His story with these words so that we would know there was a beginning to all things. Everything that we can see and everything that we know about but cannot see had a beginning.
· None of the things we see around us have always existed.
Before the beginning, the earth did not exist. Before the beginning, things on the earth did not exist. The mountains, oceans, rivers, rocks and trees did not exist. Before the beginning, the sky, sun, moon and stars did not exist. None of the things we see on the earth or in the sky existed before the beginning.
· No human beings existed before the beginning.
Knowing that the earth, sun, moon and stars did not exist before the beginning, do you think it is possible that there were any people? Think about it. Could your
ancestors or my ancestors have been living then?
We human beings cannot live without the sun, the earth, water and food. None of
these things were here before the beginning; therefore, we know that human beings were not here either.
None of my ancestors were alive before the beginning. None of your ancestors
were alive before the beginning.
· The spirits did not always exist.
Many people have different ideas about the spirits. God's Word will explain more about them as we continue to study, but for now we want you to think about a time when none of the things you see or know about existed. All people and all spirits had a beginning.
2. God is the only One who has always existed.
Before the earth was here and before there were any people or spirits or anything else, God was already living. God is the only One who existed before all things began. Although there was no earth, ocean, sun, moon, stars, animals, people or spirits, God was already living.
· Because God was the only One who existed before everything else, we know that God is greater than all.
God is greater than the earth, the ocean, the moon, the sun and stars. God is greater than all animals, all people and all spirits. God existed before all other things; therefore, we know that He is greater than all.
· God alone can tell us about the beginning of all things.
God is the only One who was here before all things began. Therefore, God is the
only One who can really tell us what happened in the beginning.
· God alone is eternal.
God has always lived. God had no beginning. He was not created. He was not
born. He did not make Himself. He has always been alive, and He will never die.
· God is completely independent of everything and everyone.
God does not need anyone or anything. God lived before the beginning. He lived
before the earth, sun, moon, stars or anything else was here. You and I were born into this world. We needed someone to take care of us when we were babies. But God was not born. He did not need anyone to take care of Him.God does not need the earth or anything on it. He can see without any light, so He
doesn’t need the sun, moon or stars in order to see. He does not get tired, so He
does not need the darkness of night to sleep.
God lives by His own power. He does not need anything to keep Him alive, so He
does not need air to breathe. God never gets hungry or thirsty, so He does not need food to eat or water to drink. We are dependent on many things. Think about this: Could you live without the sun, the rain or the ground? Could you live without food? What do you need when you get hungry or thirsty?
· God is supreme and sovereign — He is greater than all.
God is greater than the sun, the moon, the stars and everything on the earth. He
existed before the sun, the moon, the stars and the earth.
God is greater than all people. He existed before all people, and He doesn’t need
any of the things that people need.
God is greater than the spirits. He was alive before any of the spirits.
Psalm 86:8; 詩 篇 86:8
No pagan god is like you, O Lord. None can do what you do!
3. God is Spirit. [John （约翰福音） 4:24]
Human beings, animals, birds and reptiles each have bodies of flesh and bones.
We need many things. But God does not need the earth to live on or the many
things that people need because God does not have a body as we do. God does not have a body of flesh and bones. God is Spirit. As you learn more and more about God from His Book, you will understand that God is Spirit.
We have already learned that, before the beginning, there was no earth, no sun, no moon and no stars. Where do you think God lived before the beginning? Where do you think God is now?
4. God is in all places at the same time. [Psalm 139:6-8; 詩篇 139:6-8]
· The Bible tells us where God is.
We cannot see God, and we cannot know where He is unless He tells us. Through God’s Book, we learn that God is everywhere.
God is where the sun, the moon and the stars are. And God is in all places on the earth.God is here right now and can see us all.
· God is greater than people.
Think about this: Can a person be in more than one place at a time?
o We humans can only be in one place at a time.
· God is Spirit, and He is everywhere at the same time.
God does not say in His Book that He travels to every place or that He has a big
body that is everywhere. God’s Book simply says that God is everywhere.
God is near each one of us all of the time, no matter where we go. He can see all of us all of the time.
· God is the only One who is everywhere at the same time.
There is no one and nothing like God. He is greater than everything and everyone.
5. God is a Trinity.
· As you listen to God’s message, you will learn that there is only one God, yet there are three Persons who are equally God.
The three Persons who are God are absolutely equal in every way.
These are the three Persons who are the One God: The Father who is God, the Son who is God, and the Spirit who is God.
1. What exists on this earth that did not have a beginning?
2. Who is the only One who has always existed?
3. Did someone make God?
4. On a specific day, each of us was born. Was God also born?
5. Did God make Himself?
6. Was there ever a time when God wasn’t living?
7. We need food, water, air, the earth and the sun in order to live. What does God need?
8. Since God does not need food or water or air to live, by what power does He live?
9. Who is greater than the earth, the sun, the moon, the stars, all people and all spirits?
10. Does God have a body of flesh and bones like we do?
11. Where is God?
12. How many true gods are there according to the Bible?
13. Who are the three Persons who are the one God?