Dr. Sai Kiran Oruganti
Co-founder: Zen Neel Technologies.
Update: Please be advised, I have left IIT Tirupati and now am currently leading the tech team for ZN Technologies.
Wireless Power Transfer Systems
Electromagnetic Numerical Methods
Dr. Sai Kiran Oruganti, Former Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology- Tirupati
Successfully invented the first of it’s kind surface waves based near-field Wireless communication system for Hyundai Heavy Industries and Samsung Heavy Industries, which can communicate through ship walls and hull. This provides the shipping industry with a freedom to go wireless. The invention was a result of precise guidance of Prof. Dr. Franklin Bien, BICDL Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology.
The RF signals are shielded down due to EMI shielding offered by the complex maze of metal structures. Hence several kilometers of cables are setup in a typical ship or Semi-Submersible Oil Rig. But with the surface wave near-field wireless communication system all these problems have been addressed. The same technology has been developed to setup wireless safety alarms, wireless power transfer and wireless digital data transfer. Currently, working towards IEEE industry standards for the invention. Also invented a wireless power transfer based touch, proximity and hover sensor. The resulting publications received honors from IET and IEEE sensors council. Both the inventions were done during the PhD candidature which were partially funded by- Hyundai Heavy Industries, Samsung Heavy Industries and National research foundation of Korea(South).
- PhD Electrical Engineering : UNIST, Ulsan, South Korea - Year 2011-2016
- MSc Electrical Engineering : University of Applied Sciences , Darmstadt, Germany - Year 2006-2008
- Bachelor of Engineering - Electrical Engineering : Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, India- Year 2000-2004
Demo Videos of Surface-Wave Technology:
Safety demo of 40 watts of power along 1.2 meters of ship grade steel block
16 watts across 4.2 meters
Surface wave based Multi Receiver wireless power transfer demo
Patents (Partial List):
- Bien, F., Na, K., Choi, Y.H., Oruganti, S.K. ”Fine pulse generator and method for gener- ating fine pulse” US 20140361822 A1, Dec 11, 2014.
- Bien, F., Oruganti, S.K. et al. ” SYSTEM FOR WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION AND COMMUNICATION” KR 10-2015-0108827, Sept 2015.
- System for Wireless Power Transmission and Communication (pending)
- A system of sending wireless control signals to smart locks across metal doors and metal walls(pending)
- A system of sending wireless power to smartlocks across metal doors & metal walls (pending)
- A system of WIFI network setup in metal shielded environments(pending)
- A system of P-LTE network setup in metal shielded environments(pending)
- A system of sending wireless power and data through sea water (pending)
- Thi Thu Ngoc Nguyen, Hyon-Gi Yoo, Oruganti, S.K., Bien, F., ”Neuro-fuzzy controller for battery equalisation in serially connected lithium battery pack,” in Power Electronics, IET , vol.8, no.3, pp.458-466, 3 2015
- Oruganti, S.K., Heo, S.H., Ma, H. and Bien, F., ”Wireless energy transfer: touch/proximity/hover sensing for large, contoured displays and industrial applications industrial applications”, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol.15, no.4, pp.2062-2068, April 2015.
- Oruganti, S.K. and Bien, F., ”Investigation of near-field wireless energy transfer for through metal-wall applications,” IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), vol., no., pp.247-250, 8-9 May 2014
- Oruganti, S.K., Heo, S.H., Ma, H. and Bien, F., ”Wireless energy transfer-based transceiver systems for power and/or high-data rate transmission through thick metal walls using sheet- like waveguides,” in Electronics Letters , vol.50, no.12, pp.886-888, June 5 2014
- Ngoc Nguyen, Oruganti, S.K.; Kyungmin Na, Bien, F., ”An Adaptive Backward Con- trol Battery Equalization System for Serially Connected Lithium-ion Battery Packs,” in Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on , vol.63, no.8, pp.3651-3660, Oct. 2014
- Bien, F., Oruganti, S.K., ”Investigation and analysis on EMC reduction with impedance matching technique in wireless power transfer system,” in Electromagnetic Compatibility, Tokyo (EMC’14/Tokyo), 2014 International Symposium on , vol., no., pp.442-444, 12-16 May 2014
- Kyungmin Na, Heedon Jang, Oruganti, S.K., Bien, F., ”An improved wireless power transfer system with adaptive technique for Implantable Biomedical Devices,” in Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Appli- cations (IMWS-BIO), 2013 IEEE MTT-S International , vol., no., pp.1-3, 9-11 Dec. 2013
- Oruganti, S.K., Bien, F., ”Flexible wireless energy transfer systems by carbon fiber as a dielectric material: Study and experiments,” in Wireless Power Transfer (WPT), 2013 IEEE , vol., no., pp.159-162, 15-16 May 2013
- URSI Young Scientist Award (global) 2016, Seoul South Korea
- Nominated for the UNIST Best Research Award for 2016.
- Received appreciation letter IEEE Sensors Council for being among the 50 most downloaded articles at the IEEE Sensors Journal.
- The publication titled: ”Wireless energy transfer-based transceiver systems for power and/or high-data rate transmission through thick metal walls using sheet-like waveguides” appeared as the cover article in the IET electronics letter