Role Play Education
A Systematic Method for Crafting Narrative from Curricular Content
What is Role Play Education?
Solving Problems Through Applied Knowledge
Role Play Education is a classroom resource to increase student engagement and assist in classroom management. Teachers develop a story line that draws students towards solving issues and seeking out creative resolutions to tangible problems.
Students participate in plot development through embellishment and expansion of the story line. They also gain a sense of connection to their own outcomes.
While scenarios may be fictionalized and conflicts introduced, there is a noticeable lack of violence and retribution. Students are not pitted against other students or a fictional enemy.
Instead, the story line draws students towards developing skills to solve issues and seeking out creative resolutions to tangible problems.
Start with the RPE Core Book.
The Core book outlines a step-by-step process to help teachers develop a complete role play experience based on existing curricular content. This book also helps map course content and identify the connections between units of study.
- RPE Core Book - multi-page, full color pdf available for download.
- RPE System Essentials - a stripped-down rules booklet for beginning players.
What's in the Book?
The RPE Core Book provides instructions for:
- Determining the mission of the class and the best setting for the adventure.
- Mapping the curriculum to the mission of the game.
- Make class exciting with assessment obstacles and boss battle tests.
- Details for calculating rewards and consequences.
System Specific Expansions
The RPE System is designed to work with several different classroom management systems. Each of the following expansions provides details for managing the game through that methodology.
- RPE Deck System - the primary, card-based version designed for a single class. If you do not already use a classroom management system, or do not want to develop your own system, this is the place to start. Seasonal and subject expansion packs available.
- Paper System - maintain all documentation through printable documents customized for different situations.
- Spreadsheet System - a digitized version of the paper system. Track all player data and customize game settings according to your spreadsheet abilities.
- ClassDojo System - a system for organizing and incorporating the popular web based classroom management software into a unified curricular narrative.
- ClassCraft System - a system for organizing and incorporating the ClassCraft web based classroom management software into a unified curricular narrative. Works best with the paid version of ClassCraft but can be modified for the free version.
Who is Ben Biddle?
As an avid gamer and Lego builder for decades, I am always seeking ways to bring creativity and fun into the classroom.
I currently teach grades 5-8 computer and am the Technology Director at a Christian church and school.
If you want to read more, please visit my blog.
The following websites and resources are useful tools for managing a Role Play Education classroom.
- Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game - "A rules-light game system modeled on the classic RPG rules of the early 1980's. Basic Fantasy RPG is simple enough for children in perhaps second or third grade to play, yet still has enough depth for adults as well."
- Tips for Game Masters - An excellent resource with practical suggestions for setting up and running an RPG.
- Text Adventures - Online tool for writing text based adventures. Helpful in developing sequence of events.
- ClassCraft - Helps teachers manage, motivate and engage their students by transforming their classroom into a role-playing game.
- Class Dojo - Build wonderful classroom communities with parents and students.
- Plickers - A powerfully simple tool that lets teachers collect real-time formative assessment data without the need for student devices.
- Kahoot! - A free game-based learning platform that makes it fun to learn – any subject, in any language, on any device, for all ages!
- PlayPosit - Add any of seven interactive question types and rich media into a video's timeline to actively engage on mobile or web devices.
- Random Name Picker - Input a name / word list, convert into a spinning wheel!
- Story Starters - Scholastic's Story Starters kids' writing activity generates creative writing prompts, from general fiction to adventure, fantasy, and science fiction.
- Habitica - A free habit building and productivity app that treats your real life like a game. With in-game rewards and punishments to motivate you.
Role Play Education is distributed under the terms of the Open Game License version 1.0a
Site Design and Contents Copyright © 2017 Ben Biddle - Artwork is property of the individual contributors.
All Rights Reserved.