Info on CLUB RUNS
The Sunday (or whatever day it's on) club run is at the heart of what we do as a club.
Please see the Ride Schedule.
Our club run 'philosophy' is summarised below:
We meet at Calverts Carpets in the centre of Richmond (see Map Below).
The start time is 09:00am for most of the year, except for the winter months of Dec, Jan, and Feb, when the start time is 10:00am.
The Sunday rides always have a cafe stop, so bring along a few ££ for a drink and snack.
We meet at Calvert's Carpets in Richmond
Group Riding Etiquette
We ride in two lines but switch to single-file:
- when on a main road where cars are passing at speed
- on a very narrow road with blind corners
- when car(s) behind being held up for a long time.
When the group is 6 or more riders, the preferred method of changing the lead riders is ...
the rider on the front of the outside line moves across to the front of the inside line, and the outside line moves up one rider. We rotate the lead riders every 5-10 minutes.
It's not usually necessary to warn of *oncoming* cars except on very narrow roads with blind bends. Riders at the back should warn of cars approaching from behind with a call of 'car behind'. (Not necessary on a straight wide road with plenty of room and visibility for the car to pass). If a car, or number of cars are finding it difficult to pass we should either change to a single line or let gaps open in the group so they can get past in stages.
This is a tricky one, as it depends on the wind, terrain and the make up of the group. But put simply, we ride at a pace that is comfortable for the group - i.e. the group stays together and regroups when splits occur over hills, or at junctions. Pre-planned rides will be billed as either 'Easy' or the default 'Moderate'.
- 'Easy' - 35-45m @ 14-16mph. Cafe stop. Generally flattish, and a good introductory ride for new riders/re-joiners.
- 'Moderate' - 50-65m @ 16-18mph. Cafe stop. Average speed will be slower if hilly - say 15-17mph. For very flat routes, or with a big group it could be 18-19mph.
- 'Hard' - 60+ m, @17-18 mph. Hilly. Sometimes no stop.
We will never leave a rider behind. If you have any questions at all, or are in any doubt as to whether you will be able to manage a particular ride, then please don't hesitate to contact us on email@example.com, or join the Facebook group and get involved!