I'm currently a research scientist at DeepMind.
My research interests focus around deep learning and deep reinforcement learning on topics such as optimization, memory and recurrent models, theory behind deep networks, continual learning, multitask learning, etc.
I grew up in Romania and studied computer science in Germany. I got my MSc from Jacobs University, Bremen in 2009. I hold a PhD from University of Montreal (2014), which I did under the supervision of prof. Yoshua Bengio. My PhD thesis can be found here.
- I'm co-organizing TMLSS (Transylvanian Machine Learning Summer School) -- www.tmlss.ro
- I will visit RIST (March 29th)
- I will give a talk at Cluj Innovations Days about deep learning (March 30th)
- Our paper "Overcoming catastrophic forgetting in neural networks" was accepted at PNAS [blogpost] [pnas abstract] [the guardian article] [bloomberg article]
- I will teach a course at IK 2017 about deep learning and deep reinforcement learning (March 11th - 14th 2017)
- I am co-organizing the continual learning workshop at NIPS 2016 (Dec 2016 - Barcelona)