Diversity & Inclusion
What is D&I?
Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical values system, national origin, and political beliefs.
Inclusion is involvement and empowerment, where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are recognized. An inclusive space promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of living of its members.
Diversity & Inclusion Resources
Lots of these are very short (~3-5 min) reads. Please feel free to contact us to recommend more!
How can individuals help promote inclusiveness?
I want to read more! Any recommendations?
- Counting the Countless: Why data science is a profound threat for queer people
- The Misgendering Machines: Trans/HCI Implications of Automatic Gender Recognition
- Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics, and the Limits of Law
- So You Want to Talk About Race, Ijeoma Oluo
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America, Ibram X. Xendi
- White Fragility: Why it’s so hard for white people to talk about racism – Robin Diangelo
- Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley, Emily Chang
- Better Together: 8 Ways Working with Women Leads to Extraordinary Products and Profits, Jonathan Sposato
- Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead, Cecile Richards
- Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman, Lindy West
- Things That Make White People Uncomfortable, Michael Bennett