As per the PCG Guidelines, the Grievance Policy provides a fair and consistent method in which to resolve conflicts and/or request an appeal of a decision made by the Garden Stewards. The system is a tiered process which, if need be, culminates in a peer review (Grievance Group) and results in a final decision.
The Grievance Group is composed of three Garden Members who are appointed yearly by the outgoing Stewards, before the beginning of the new garden season (March 1st). Members on the Grievance Group serve on an as-needed basis, receiving unlimited work hours for their service. Members of the Grievance Group operate under confidentiality and with respect for all those concerned. If the appeal or conflict concerns one of the Grievance Group members, an alternate member will be appointed to the Group by the Stewards for the specific grievance.
If you are interested in serving with the Grievance Group in 2019, or as an alternate in 2018, please contact one of the Garden Stewards.
Grievance Procedures and Appeal:
- All parties are encouraged to resolve differences through open conversation, assuming best intentions of all those concerned.
- If no viable solution can be agreed upon, or there is no clear policy relating to a specific issue or concern, the Garden Member may grieve the issue to the Garden Stewards.
- Grievances will be kept confidential whenever possible.
- Stewards will review the appeal or grievance. If they are unable to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of everyone involved, the issue will be presented to the Grievance Group.
- The Grievance Group will make a final determination within a reasonable timeframe.