Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements by choosing a number from 1 to 7:
请阅读以下关于“英语演讲的价值”的陈述,并从1-7之间选择“不同意”到“同意”的程度。
1: strongly disagree; 2: disagree; 3: somewhat disagree; 4: either agree or disagree; 5: somewhat agree; 6: agree; 7: strongly agree
1:非常不同意;2:不同意;3:略微不同意;4:中立;5:略微同意;6:同意;7:非常同意
Note: The items in the red color were eliminated after EFA.
I imagine myself communicating in English fluently in EMI courses.
我想象自己在EMI课程中流利地用英文沟通。
I imagine myself following what others say easily in EMI courses.
我想象着自己在EMI课程中轻松地理解别人说的话。
I imagine myself sufficiently comprehending the English learning materials in EMI courses.
我想象自己能充分理解EMI课程中的英语学习材料。
I imagine myself writing in English with ease in EMI courses.
我想象自己在EMI课程中能够熟练地用英语写作。
I am energetically pursuing my academic and/or career goals.
我正在积极实现自己的学业和/或职业目标。
6. I am confident in understanding the textbook content in English.
我有信心理解课本中的英文内容。
7. I am confident in participating in class discussions in English.
我有信心用英语参与课堂讨论。
8. I am confident in completing the assignments and tests in English.
我有信心用英文完成作业和测试。
9. I am confident in understanding the lecture materials presented by the instructor in English.
我有信心理解老师用英语讲授的课堂内容。
10. I am confident in achieving the goals I set for myself.
我有信心实现我为自己设定的目标。
11. I am confident in sharing information with my classmates in English.
我有信心用英语与同学分享信息。
12. When it comes to learning EMI courses, I am a hard-working learner.
学习EMI课程时,我是一个刻苦的学习者。
13. Once I have decided to fulfill the requirements of an EMI course, nothing can prevent me from reaching this goal.
一旦我决定要完成EMI课程的要求,没有什么可以阻止我达到这个目标。
14. I will not allow anything to stop me from completing EMI courses.
我不会让任何事情阻止我完成EMI课程。
15. I put much time and effort into improving my performance in EMI courses.
我投入了大量的时间和精力来提高我的EMI课程成绩。
16. I can get through the difficulties in EMI courses.
我能够克服EMI课程中的困难。
17. I am diligent in learning EMI courses.
我在学习EMI课程时非常勤奋。
18. I expect a good learning outcome in EMI courses.
我期待在EMI课程中获得良好的学习成果。
19. I look on the bright side of the things in EMI courses.
我总是看到EMI课程中的光明面。
20. I hold a positive attitude towards learning discipline-focused courses in English.
我对用英语学习专业课程持积极态度。
21. I am optimistic about what will happen to me in EMI courses.
我对EMI课程中将发生的事情持乐观态度。
22. I expect good things to happen in EMI courses.
我期待在EMI课程中发生好事。
EFA was performed to evaluate the construct validity using SPSS 29.0. Four factors with eigenvalues larger than 1 were extracted by the principal component analysis using the Varimax with Kaiser Normalization rotation method (see Figure 1). The Kaiser-Meyer-Olkin (KMO) test for Sampling Adequacy was performed to evaluate each factor’s capability of explaining the other factors. The KMO value for the model was .941, which is an ideal value.
Figure 1. Scree plot of the factor analysis
A review of the questionnaire items and a reconsideration of the theoretical frameworks of psychological capital, five items were eliminated from their respective factors due to their low factor loadings, which were below .30 as per the criteria suggested by (Dörnyei & Taguchi, 2009). The factor loadings of the newly formed PsyCap-EMI scale are demonstrated in Table 1.
Table 1. The factor loadings of the final PsyCap-EMI scale
Table 2 shows the CFA result. Composite reliability (CR) and Cronbach’s α for each construct were computed to evaluate construct reliability. Each construct’s value exceeds .80, denoting satisfactory reliability for all scales, as suggested by Arbuckle (2021). Moreover, the Average Variance Extracted (AVE) values for all constructs were greater than .50, affirming adequate convergent validity. The diagonal entries in parentheses represent the square roots of AVE, which exceed the correlation coefficients for each construct, which implies that discriminant validity at the construct level is achieved, confirming that each construct is distinct (Lai & Tai, 2021). Consequently, CFA substantiates that the PsyCap-EMI’s reliability and validity are acceptable.
Table 3 presents the correlation coefficients between the constructs. The diagonal values in parentheses represent the square root of the Average Variance Extracted (AVE) for each construct, crucial for assessing the discriminant validity. The off-diagonal numbers indicate the correlations between the constructs. The correlation coefficients suggest significant but not excessively high relationships between the constructs, indicating that while they are related components, each construct also retains its distinct characteristics. The fact that the square roots of AVE for each construct are greater than the inter-construct correlations further confirms the discriminant validity of the constructs. Each construct is distinct enough from the others, confirming the model’s adequacy in differentiating between the various constructs of psychological capital.
Table 2. The reliability and validity of the PsyCap-EMI scale
Table 3. Correlation coefficients between the constructs of psychological capital