Portuguese Chorizo and Kale Soup
Time: 60 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb chorizo, casing removed and diced
- 3 medium white waxy potatoes, washed and diced
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans/chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 1 can diced or chopped tomatoes
- 2 qts (8 cups) chicken stock
- 1 lb kale, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high head. Add onions and chorizo and cook 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent and chorizo is crispy.
- Add potatoes. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, tomatoes, stock, and bring soup to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and add kale. Cook covered for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or garlic Parmesan toasts.
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals by Molly Shibley, mollydoesadulting.com