My research concerns the dynamics of how states and institutions interact on the international level. The main focus lies on institutional innovation and change, which I began studying in the area of global public health, in particular the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. My Ph.D. research was supervised by Dr William Phelan of Trinity College Dublin. I had previously studied other innovative forms of governance on the international level, such as in the field of Internet Governance, under the guidance of the late Prof Volker Rittberger.
All papers are also available on ResearchGate.
- The Interactive Parliament - Evolving Use of Digital Media by National Legislatures in the EU (with Julia Schwanholz and Andreas Busch). In: Brichzin / Krichewsky / Ringel / Schank (eds.) (forthcoming 2017) Soziologie der Parlamente - Neue Wege der politischen Institutionenforschung. Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
- Donor Choice in Multilateral Health Aid Journal of International Organizations Studies 8(1), 25-40.
- A bird's eye view of the elephants: Mapping norms and institutional design in the Comparative Regional Organizations Project (with Anja Jetschke, Claudia Marggraf, and Sören Münch).
- Faster, Higher, Stronger? The Political Effects of Sports Mega-Events
- Parliaments 2.0? Digital Media Use by National Parliaments in the EU (with Julia Schwanholz and Andreas Busch). In: Schwanholz / Graham / Stoll (eds.) (forthcoming 2017) Managing Democracy in the Digital Age – Internet Regulation, Social Media Use, and Online Civic Engagement. Wiesbaden: Springer International Publishing.
- Internet blocking regulations: a comparative analysis of 21 liberal democracies (with Yana Breindl and Andreas Busch). In: Schwanholz / Graham / Stoll (eds.) (forthcoming 2017) Managing Democracy in the Digital Age – Internet Regulation, Social Media Use, and Online Civic Engagement. Wiesbaden: Springer International Publishing.
- Are regional organizations contagious? The diffusion of institutional design among regional organizations (with Anja Jetschke, Claudia Marggraf, and Sören Münch).
- The Irrelevant Innovator and the Capable Clone - Regional Organization in the Gulf
- The Diffusion of Institutional Design Among Regional Organizations (with Anja Jetschke).
- Donors, Dollars, and Diseases - State-Institution Interactions in Global Public Health (Ph.D. dissertation)
- Requesting Aid: State Applications for Global Fund Grants
- Internet Governance: Collective Goods Theory and the Creation of Inclusive Institutions (M.A. thesis) Note: only available in German.
General Research Interests
- International relations
- International organizations
- Regional organizations
- Institutional design
- Institutional innovation
- Non-state actors in global governance
- Global public health
- Politics of international development cooperation
- Telecommunications and internet governance
- Politics and governance of outer space