PACK 617 RULES AND CAR SPECIFICATIONS
(These rules will be strictly enforced. All cars that violate the rules will be moved to a separate division and will not race with the normal divisions.)
- All cars must be newly built for the current Cub Scouting year using the Pinewood Derby kits provided or official Pinewood Derby replacement kits. All cars must use the axles (nails) and wheels provided by the pack. Replacement axles or wheels are prohibited.
- Scouts should do as much work on the car as possible. It varies by age how much they can do. Use your judgment. Parents interested in making their own cars should enter the “Geezers” class.
- Car shall not exceed the following dimensions: height 3.5 inches, width 2.75 inches, length 7 inches, and weight 5 oz.
- Do not move the axle slots—use the nail slots already positioned in the block of wood. Use wood glue or model cement to hold the pin axles in body. If you are using a replacement kit, you must ensure that the positioning of the axles is exactly the same as the kit provided by the pack.
- Only minor sanding of the plastic wheels to remove mold projection defects is allowed. The wheels may not be sanded to enhance performance—i.e., the decorative dots on the wheel treads may not be removed. If wheel sanding is detected, the car will be disqualified.
- The wheels may not be polished to enhance performance. Graphite may naturally fall on the wheels, but the wheels must maintain the same color as originally distributed.
- Only minor sanding or polishing of the axles is permitted. You may not change the shape of the axle at all.
- Wheel bearings, washers on the axles, and bushings are prohibited – i.e. the wheels must be used as intended; one wheel riding on the axle (nail) with nothing between the body (wood block) and the wheel.
- Only powdered graphite may be used as a lubricant.
- The car shall not ride on any kind of spring.
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in the car.
- After a car has been registered no one other than race officials may handle the vehicle. No repairs or adjustments will be made.