I work at the BioProcess Engineering Group (IIM-CSIC) developing tools for Biosystems Identification, Design and Control for Synthetic and Systems Biology applications. My main research interests are:
> Systematic inference of design principles of biological networks (through optimization).
> Automated design of genetic circuits for Synthetic Biology.
> Effective detection of complex behaviour in biochemical networks exploiting their inherent structural properties. I am particularly interested in the emergence of bistability and oscillations in gene regulation and cell signaling.
> The effect of molecular noise in gene regulation, and how to incorporate molecular noise in the design of biocircuits.
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: @Otero_Muras
- Otero-Muras I, Yordanov P, Stelling J, 2017. Chemical Reaction Theory elucidates sources of multistationarity in Interferon signaling. PLoS Computational Biology 13(4):e1005454 http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005454
- Otero-Muras I, Banga JR, 2017. Automated Design Framework for Synthetic Biology exploiting Pareto Optimality. ACS Synthetic Biology DOI: 10.1021/acssynbio.6b00306 http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acssynbio.6b00306
- Pájaro M, Alonso AA, Otero-Muras I, Vázquez C, 2017. Stochastic modeling and numerical simulation of gene regulatory networks with protein bursting. Journal of Theoretical Biology 421:51-70. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022519317301352
- Otero-Muras I, Banga JR, 2016. Design Principles of Biological Oscillators through Optimization: Forward and Reverse Analysis. PLoS ONE 11(12): e0166867 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0166867
- Otero-Muras I, Henriques D, Banga JR, 2016. SYNBADm: a tool for optimization-based automated design of synthetic gene circuits. Bioinformatics 32(21): 3360-3362 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27402908
You can find all my publications here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Irene_Otero-Muras
After graduating in Chemical Engineering at Santiago de Compostela University I joined the Bioprocess Engineering Group at IIM-CSIC, where I developed my PhD thesis Modeling, dynamic analysis and control of biological networks defended on May 2010.
In 2010 I joined the Computational Systems Biology Group (Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering) at ETH-Zurich for a 3 year postdoc where i worked in the EU FP7 project IFNAction: A system view on the differential activities of human type I interferons.
Since 2013 I work at the BioProcess Engineering Group (IIM-CSIC), in the projects MULTISCALES: Multi-scale inference, monitoring, optimization and control: from cells to bioreactors, and SYNBIOFACTORY: Synthetic biology for bioproduction enhancement: Design, optimization, monitoring and control.
2017- Editorial Board Member of BMC Systems Biology
University of Vigo (2015)
M.Sc. in Biological Sciences> Systems Biology module (joint course).
- Structural Analysis of Biochemical Reaction Networks , Spring 2012
- Bioinformatics in Depth (joint course), Spring 2012
- Bioinformatics in Depth (joint course), Spring 2011
- Synthetic Biology (J. Stelling and S. Panke), Spring 2011
- Synthetic Biology (J. Stelling and S. Panke), Spring 2010