I am currently a postdoctoral fellow at Eran Segal's group at the Weizmann Institute of Science. My research lies at the intersection of machine learning, statistics and genetics. Specifically, I am interested in applying Gaussian processes and graphical model techniques for the analysis of large high-dimensional genetic data.
Previously I was a PhD student at the computer science department of the Technion under the supervision of Dan Geiger, and at the statistics department of Tel Aviv University under the supervision of Saharon Rosset. My PhD thesis tackled complex problems in statistical genetics, using advanced methods from machine learning and statistics.
I was also a part-time researcher at the Machine Learning for Healthcare and Life Sciences group at IBM Research Haifa, where I worked on a variety of projects involving analysis of genetic and clinical data.
omer.weissbrod [AT] weizmann.ac.il
- LEAP (Liability Estimator as a Phenotype) - Approximate association testing in genetic case-control studies using linear mixed models, which can substantially improve power over a standard LMM while remaining resilient to genetic confounding (paper).
- MKLMM (Multi Kernel Linear Mixed Models) - Phenotype prediction for complex traits using multiple kernel learning (paper).
- PCGC-s (Phenotype Correlation Genotype Correlation with Summary statistics) - Estimating heritability and genetic correlation between qualitative genetic traits, either directly or with summary statistics.
- Superlink-GM - Genetic linkage analysis in the presence of germline mosaicism.
Papers in Preparation and Under Review
- Omer Weissbrod, Elior Rahmani, Regev Schweiger and Eran Halperin. Association testing in bisulfite sequencing methylation data via Laplace Approximations. In preparation.
- Omer Weissbrod, Shachar Kaufman, David Golan and Saharon Rosset. Likelihood-Based Analysis of High-Dimensional Data with Ascertainment and Dependency Structures. In preparation.
- Omer Weissbrod, Jonathan Flint and Saharon Rosset. Estimating heritability and genetic correlation in case control studies directly and with summary Statistics. Under Review.
- Alina Kurolap, Orly Eshach Adiv, Tamar Paperna, Adi Mory, Danit Oz-Levi, Tova Hershkovitz, Yaniv Zohar, Hanna Mandel, Judith Chezar, David Azoulay, Sarit Peleg, Elizabeth E. Half, Vered Yahalom, Lilach Finkel, Omer Weissbrod et al. New insights into familial primary intestinal lymphangiectasia: a novel syndrome involving hypercoagulability and CD55 loss with complement dysregulation. Submitted.
- Elior Rahmani, Reut Yedidim, Liat Shenhav, Regev Schweiger, Omer Weissbrod, Noah Zaitlen and Eran Halperin. GLINT: user-friendly toolset for the analysis of high-throughput DNA-methylation array data. Bioinformatics, 2017.
- Zeev Waks, Omer Weissbrod, Boaz Carmeli, Raquel Norel, Filippo Utro and Yaara Goldschmidt. Driver gene classification reveals a substantial overrepresentation of tumor suppressors among very large chromatin-regulating proteins. Scientific Reports, 2016.
- Michal Ozery-Flato, Chen Yanover, Assaf Gottlieb, Omer Weissbrod, Naama Parush Shear-Yashuv and Yaara Goldschmidt. Fast and efficient feature engineering for multi-cohort Analysis of EHR data. NIPS 2016 Workshop on Machine Learning for Health, 2016.
- Keira Cohen*, Tal El-Hay*, Kelly Wyres*, Omer Weissbrod, Vanisha Munsamy, Chen Yanover, Ranit Aharonov, Oded Shaham, Thomas Conway, Yaara Goldschmidt, William Bishai and Alexander Pym. Paradoxical Hypersusceptibility of Drug-Resistant M. tuberculosis to beta-Lactam Antibiotics. EBioMedicine, 2016. (* - joint first authorship)
- Omer Weissbrod, Dan Geiger and Saharon Rosset. Multi kernel linear mixed models for complex phenotype prediction. Genome Research, 2016.
- Omer Weissbrod, Christoph Lippert, Dan Geiger and David Heckerman. Accurate liability estimation improves power in ascertained case-control studies. Nature methods, 2015.
- Assaf Glazer, Omer Weissbrod, Michael Lindenbaum and Shaul Markovitch. Approximating Hierarchical MV-sets for Hierarchical Clustering. NIPS, 2014.
- Tal El-Hay, Omer Weissbrod, Elad Eban, Maurizio Zazzi and Francesca Incardona. Structured Proportional Jump Processes. UAI, 2014.
- Chris Widmer, Christoph Lippert, Omer Weissbrod, Nicolo Fusi, Carl Kadie, Robert Davidson, Jennifer Listgarten and David Heckerman. Further Improvements to Linear Mixed Models for Genome-Wide Association Studies. Scientific reports, 2014.
- Michal Rosen-Zvi, Lavi Shpigelman, Alan Kalton, Omer Weissbrod, Saheed Akindeinde, Soren Benefeldt, Andrew Bentley, Terry Everett, Joseph Jajinskiji, Emmanuel Kweyu, et al. Estimating the Impact of Prevention Action: A simulation Model of Cervical Cancer Progression. Proceedings of MIE, 2014.
- Yael Peled, Michael Gramlich, Guy Yoskovitz, Micha Feinberg, Arnon Afek, Sylvie Polak-Charcon, Elon Pras, Ben-Ami Sela, Eli Konen, Omer Weissbrod et al. Titin Mutation in Familial Restrictive Cardiomyopathy. International Journal of Cardiology, 2013.
- Mark Silberstein, Omer Weissbrod, Lars Otten, Anna Tzemach, Andrei Anisenia, Oren Shtark, Dvir Tuberg, Eddie Galfrin, Irena Gannon, Rina Dechter, Elizabeth Thompson and Dan Geiger. A System for Exact and Approximate Genetic Linkage Analysis of SNP Data in Large Pedigrees. Bioinformatics, 2013.
- Omer Weissbrod and Dan Geiger. Genetic Linkage Analysis in the Presence of Germline Mosaicism. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, 2011.