I am a postdoctoral fellow at Alkes Price's group at Harvard University. My research lies at the intersection of machine learning, statistics and genetics.
Previously I was a postdoctoral fellow at Eran Segal's group at the Weizmann Institute of Science. I completed my PhD at the computer science department of the Technion under the supervision of Dan Geiger, and at the statistics department of Tel Aviv University under the supervision of Saharon Rosset.
I was also a part-time researcher at the Machine Learning for Healthcare and Life Sciences group at IBM Research Haifa, where I worked on a variety of projects involving analysis of genetic and clinical data.
- LEAP (Liability Estimator as a Phenotype) - Approximate association testing in genetic case-control studies using linear mixed models, which can substantially improve power over a standard LMM while remaining resilient to genetic confounding (paper).
- MKLMM (Multi Kernel Linear Mixed Models) - Phenotype prediction for complex traits using multiple kernel learning (paper).
- MALAX (Association testing of bisulfite sequencing methylation data via a Laplace approximation) - Performs an efficient epigenome wide association study (EWAS) via a generalized linear mixed model (GLMM) (paper).
- PCGC-s (Phenotype Correlation Genotype Correlation with Summary statistics) - Estimating heritability and genetic correlation between qualitative genetic traits, either directly or with summary statistics (preprint).
- Superlink-GM - Genetic linkage analysis in the presence of germline mosaicism (paper).
- Superlink Online-SNP - An online tool for exact and approximate genetic linkage analysis of large pedigrees, using hundreds of CPUs operating in parallel on the cloud (paper).
- Omer Weissbrod, Daphna Rothschild, Elad Barkan and Eran Segal. Host genetics and microbiome associations from the lens of genome wide association studies (preprint).
- Tal Shor, Dan Geiger, Yaniv Erlich and Omer Weissbrod. Sci-LMM is an efficient strategy for inferring genetic variance components using population scale family trees (preprint).
- Omer Weissbrod, Shachar Kaufman, David Golan and Saharon Rosset. Modeling High-Dimensional Data with Case-Control Sampling and Dependency Structures (preprint).
- Omer Weissbrod, Jonathan Flint and Saharon Rosset. Estimating heritability and genetic correlation in case control studies directly and with summary Statistics (preprint).
- Daphna Rothschild*, Omer Weissbrod*, Elad Barkan*, Alexander Kurilshikov, Tal Korem, David Zeevi, Paul I. Costea, Anastasia Godneva, Iris N. Kalka, Noam Bar, Smadar Shilo, Dar Lador, Arnau Vich Vila, Niv Zmora, Meirav Pevsner-Fischer, David Israeli, Noa Kosower, Gal Malka, Bat Chen Wolf, Tali Avnit-Sagi, Maya Lotan-Pompan, Adina Weinberger, Zamir Halpern, Shai Carmi, Jingyuan Fu, Cisca Wijmenga, Alexandra Zhernakova, Eran Elinav and Eran Segal. Environment dominates over host genetics in shaping human gut microbiota. Nature, 2018. (* - joint first authorship).
- Joanna Kaplanis*, Assaf Gordon*, Tal Shor, Omer Weissbrod, Dan Geiger, Mary Wahl, Michael Gershovits, Barak Markus, Mona Sheikh, Melissa Gymrek, Gaurav Bhatia, Daniel G. MacArthur, Alkes L. Price and Yaniv Erlich. Quantitative analysis of population-scale family trees with millions of relatives. Science, 2018.
- Adel Shalata, Mohammad Mahroom, Dianna M. Milewicz, Gong Limin, Fadi Kassum, Khader Badarna, Nader Tarabeih, Nimmer Assy, Rona Fell, Hector Cohen, Munir Nashashibi, Alejandro Livoff, Muhammad Azab, George Habib, Dan Geiger, Omer Weissbrod and William Nseir. Fatal thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection in a large family with a novel MYLK gene mutation: delineation of the clinical phenotype. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 2018.
- Regev Schweiger, Omer Weissbrod, Elior Rahmani, Martina Müller-Nurasyid, Sonja Kunze, Christian Gieger, Melanie Waldenberger, Saharon Rosset and Eran Halperin. RL-SKAT: An Exact and Efficient Score Test for Heritability and Set Tests. Genetics, 2017.
- Omer Weissbrod, Elior Rahmani, Regev Schweiger, Saharon Rosset and Eran Halperin. Association testing in bisulfite sequencing methylation data via a Laplace Approximation. ISMB proceedings, 2017.
- Alina Kurolap, Orly Eshach-Adiv, Tova Hershkovitz, Tamar Paperna, Adi Mory, Danit Oz-Levi, Yaniv Zohar, Hanna Mandel, Judith Chezar, David Azoulay, Sarit Peleg, Elizabeth E Half, Vered Yahalom, Lilach Finkel, Omer Weissbrod, Dan Geiger, Adi Tabib, Ron Shaoul, Daniella Magen, Lilach Bonstein, Dror Mevorach, Hagit N Baris. Loss of CD55 in Eculizumab-Responsive Protein-Losing Enteropathy. New England Journal of Medicine, 2017.
- Tal Korem, David Zeevi, Niv Zmora, Omer Weissbrod, Noam Bar, Maya Lotan-Pompan, Tali Avnit-Sagi, Noa Kosower, Gal Malka, Michal Rein, Jotham Suez, Ben Z Goldberg, Adina Weinberger, Avraham A Levy, Eran Elinav, Eran Segal. Bread Affects Clinical Parameters and Induces Gut Microbiome-Associated Personal Glycemic Responses. Cell Metabolism, 2017.
- Elior Rahmani, Reut Yedidim, Liat Shenhav, Regev Schweiger, Omer Weissbrod, Noah Zaitlen and Eran Halperin. GLINT: user-friendly toolset for the analysis of high-throughput DNA-methylation array data. Bioinformatics, 2017.
- Zeev Waks, Omer Weissbrod, Boaz Carmeli, Raquel Norel, Filippo Utro and Yaara Goldschmidt. Driver gene classification reveals a substantial overrepresentation of tumor suppressors among very large chromatin-regulating proteins. Scientific Reports, 2016.
- Michal Ozery-Flato, Chen Yanover, Assaf Gottlieb, Omer Weissbrod, Naama Parush Shear-Yashuv and Yaara Goldschmidt. Fast and efficient feature engineering for multi-cohort Analysis of EHR data. NIPS 2016 Workshop on Machine Learning for Health, 2016.
- Keira Cohen*, Tal El-Hay*, Kelly Wyres*, Omer Weissbrod, Vanisha Munsamy, Chen Yanover, Ranit Aharonov, Oded Shaham, Thomas Conway, Yaara Goldschmidt, William Bishai and Alexander Pym. Paradoxical Hypersusceptibility of Drug-Resistant M. tuberculosis to beta-Lactam Antibiotics. EBioMedicine, 2016. (* - joint first authorship)
- Omer Weissbrod, Dan Geiger and Saharon Rosset. Multi kernel linear mixed models for complex phenotype prediction. Genome Research, 2016.
- Omer Weissbrod, Christoph Lippert, Dan Geiger and David Heckerman. Accurate liability estimation improves power in ascertained case-control studies. Nature Methods, 2015.
- Assaf Glazer, Omer Weissbrod, Michael Lindenbaum and Shaul Markovitch. Approximating Hierarchical MV-sets for Hierarchical Clustering. NIPS proceedings, 2014.
- Tal El-Hay, Omer Weissbrod, Elad Eban, Maurizio Zazzi and Francesca Incardona. Structured Proportional Jump Processes. UAI proceedings, 2014.
- Chris Widmer, Christoph Lippert, Omer Weissbrod, Nicolo Fusi, Carl Kadie, Robert Davidson, Jennifer Listgarten and David Heckerman. Further Improvements to Linear Mixed Models for Genome-Wide Association Studies. Scientific Reports, 2014.
- Michal Rosen-Zvi, Lavi Shpigelman, Alan Kalton, Omer Weissbrod, Saheed Akindeinde, Soren Benefeldt, Andrew Bentley, Terry Everett, Joseph Jajinskiji, Emmanuel Kweyu, Chalapathy Neti, Joe Saab, Osamuyimen Stewart, Malcolm Ward and Guo Tong Xie. Estimating the Impact of Prevention Action: A simulation Model of Cervical Cancer Progression. Proceedings of MIE, 2014.
- Yael Peled, Michael Gramlich, Guy Yoskovitz, Micha S. Feinberg, Arnon Afek, Sylvie Polak-Charcon, Elon Pras, Ben-Ami Sela, Eli Konen, Omer Weissbrod, Dan Geiger, Paul M.K.Gordon, Ludwig Thierfelder, Dov Freimark, Brenda Gerull and Michael Arad. Titin Mutation in Familial Restrictive Cardiomyopathy. International Journal of Cardiology, 2013.
- Mark Silberstein, Omer Weissbrod, Lars Otten, Anna Tzemach, Andrei Anisenia, Oren Shtark, Dvir Tuberg, Eddie Galfrin, Irena Gannon, Rina Dechter, Elizabeth Thompson and Dan Geiger. A System for Exact and Approximate Genetic Linkage Analysis of SNP Data in Large Pedigrees. Bioinformatics, 2013.
- Omer Weissbrod and Dan Geiger. Genetic Linkage Analysis in the Presence of Germline Mosaicism. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, 2011.