Session Resource Page for:
5 Strategies for Building Content-Area Literacy
March 12, 2019 ♦ 7:00pm - 9:00pm ET
Moderators: Karen Streeter, Ruth Okoye and Stephanie Bass
Session Description: Students need to be able to communicate about the content we teach. They may learn literacy basics in the language arts classroom, but in order to apply those skills, they need content area practice. In this session we will discuss five strategies that can be used to practice reading, writing and speaking using content area concepts and vocabulary.
As a result of this session teachers will:
- Understand the importance of content area literacy practice;
- Learn 5 strategies for content area literacy practice; and
- Plan for the use of content area strategies in the classroom.
Applicable ISTE Standards for Educators (2017)*: 1A; 1B; 2C; 5B; 6B
* The text of these standards is copyrighted. Please read the full text at the ISTE Standards page.
Archive Recording: OK2Ask archive recordings are made available within two weeks of the webinar air date. You can find the archive for this session and others that have been selected for long-term retention in the archive library on the TeachersFirst website. The easiest way to access the archive library is from the OK2Ask Archive Recordings Special Topics Page. Please note that the archive listings appear sorted by Most Recent First. Each year, we review the archived sessions. We may remove a session from the archive library for a number of reasons when a digital tool:
- has been retired
- is no longer free
- has been updated such that the session demonstrations no longer match the current interface
-- OR --
- there were significant webinar technical difficulties
- we may have refreshed the session and a newer version is available
Certificates: The certificates for this session were emailed 3/26/19 at 7:21 PM to registrants that actively participated in all required tasks throughout the session and completed the session evaluation survey within 1 week.