- Some of the airborne particles from these quarries are known carcinogens - that means they have the potential to cause cancer.
- The particles have the ability to travel a long distance from the quarry site, depending on wind and weather conditions.
- The impact of these particles on the health and wellbeing of local residents was apparently not considered when the County Permit was approved.
- Air quality testing and impact studies by an impartial, third-party group is needed!
- This quarry site is surrounded by residences, farms, small businesses, and a church. It is also near the Sylvan Elementary School. It is not clear that Alamance County gave any of these circumstances consideration before approving the County Permit.
- The potential impact of this dust on the existing Cypress Creek Renewables solar farm was apparently not considered when the County Permit was approved.
A study conducted in New Mexico, looking primarily at the air quality issues of mining: http://www.raintreecounty.com/Blodgett.html
Alamance County Health Department on Air Quality and Asthma: https://www.alamance-nc.com/envhealth/program-areas/air-quality-and-asthma/