Do you remember how special your Walk to Emmaus was to you? It would not have been possible without the prayer and sacrifice of your sponsor!
After your Walk, you are able to sponsor your own friends and family members as they go on their own Walks to Emmaus. Prayerfully consider who you would like to sponsor, seeking the Holy Spirit as your guide in whom you should sponsor. Explain what the weekend is to your potential pilgrim. Discuss the requirements of the weekend--including the need for them to step away from their cell phones and their watches! Assure them that there will be an emergency contact number if needed, but remind them that the weekend is about THEM and is their opportunity to step away from the real world and spend some quality time with Jesus! Explain to your potential pilgrim what Reunion Groups are, and ways they can remain involved in the NELA Emmaus Community after their Walk.
The Walk to Emmaus is more than just a 72-hour weekend. It is also about the Fourth Day Community--where we become an impact on our world, our church, and the community for Christ's Kingdom!
Pray for Discernment
- Is your candidate a Christian and attending church regularly?
- Is your candidate a leader/potential leader in the church?
- Is your candidate ready spiritually and in life (not going through any major life issues)?
- Pray for your candidate.
Meet with your Candidate and Discuss the Weekend
- Talks and group discussions
- What to bring
- Sleeping Arrangements
Complete the Candidate/Sponsor Application
- Download the Application on this page
- Ensure both sections are completed fully
- Make sure both sections are signed!
- Submit the Application to the NELA Emmaus Registrar along with the fee for the Weekend
The Weekend of The Walk to Emmaus
- Pick up your Pilgrim and take them to dinner--ease any last minute concerns, exchange contact information with their family, and answer any questions! (Remember--no evening meal is provided on Thursday, so please make sure your Pilgrim has eaten dinner before arriving at the Walk!)
- Bring them to the Walk Thursday evening.
- Plan to stay for Send-Off and for Sponsor's Hour in the Chapel.
- Join the Community in the other special activities throughout the weekend.
- Be available to your Pilgrim's family if a need arises!