Introduce metal matrix composites (MMC) to advanced undergraduate and graduate students, discuss applications of MMC in aerospace and automotive industries as well as space environments, strengthening mechanisms of MMC, methods of preparing MMC, techniques of testing MMC, and critical problems in MMC fabrication; design of structure applying MMC is practiced. Introduce materials for photovoltaics including silicon, thin film, III-V, and organic compounds. Focus will be on silicon and III-V based solar cells.
- Introduction, advantages of MMC over monolithic materials, uses of MMC in various industries
- Strengthening mechanisms of MMC
- MMC fabrication, molten metal techniques, solid sintering techniques, electroforming, plasma forming, diffusion bonding
- Interfacial reactions in MMC
- Mechanical testing of MMC
- Photovoltaic materials.
Category Content: 50% Engineering Science 50% Engineering Design
Introduction to Metal Matrix Composite Materials