Christiansted

National Historic Site

U. S. Virgin Islands (St. Croix)

Established: March 4, 1952

27.15 acres

Annual Visitors: 106,015 (2005)


Official Site: https://www.nps.gov/chri/index.htm

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiansted_National_Historic_Site

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChristianstedNPS

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI4s8mPLArPjQ6jz9pXDm-g


From Wikipedia:

Christiansted National Historic Site commemorates urban colonial development of the Virgin Islands. It features 18th and 19th century structures in the heart of Christiansted, the capital of the former Danish West Indies on St. Croix Island.

The site consists of six historic structures: Fort Christiansværn (constructed from 1738 to 1749), the Danish West India and Guinea Company Warehouse (1749), the Church of Our Lord Sabaoth Steeple Building (1753), Customs House (built 1840-1842), the Scale House (1856), and Government House (1747). The Danish West India and Guinea Company held slave auctions within the walled compound of their warehouse until 1803, when the slave trade was outlawed.

Links