Natalia Lauk comes from a lineage of classical Russian pianists and piano instruction. Both parents are graduates of the Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory in Saint-Petersburg and have more than 80 years combined piano teaching experience. She was born and raised in Siberia, Russia, where she studied piano for 16 years. She completed her Master of Musical Arts degree in Piano Solo Performance, Collaborative Piano, and Piano Pedagogy at the Krasnoyarsk State Institute of Arts in 2000.
Natalia moved from Siberia to Idaho in 2011, where she started a private piano studio, while actively collaborating with the Department of Music at Idaho State University. Her solo recital "Russian piano masterpieces" raised $1200 for ISU piano scholarships. Natalia currently holds several positions including Senior Piano Instructor at ISU Preparatory Piano Program, Assistant Director of Technology at ISU Preparatory Piano Program and Collaborative pianist at ISU Concert and Chamber Choirs. Her future projects include performance of Rachmaninoff's Second Concerto in collaboration with Idaho State Civic Symphony.
Natalia's piano upbringing descends from Ludwig Van Beethoven. Beethoven taught the famous composer and pianist Carl Czerny, who became Franz Liszt's teacher. The German pianist and composer Karl Klindworth was Franz Liszt's student and became the teacher of the Russian composer Sergei Lyapunov. Lyapunov in turn taught the great Russian pianist Nadezhda Golubovskaya, who became the teacher of Natalia's father.
Natalia's teaching style emphasizes the development of strong technical skills and an understanding of the historical background of the music. She stresses as well the importance of becoming a performer in whose hands the piano becomes a speaking and singing instrument.
Master of Musical Arts. June, 2000 with Magna cum Laude. (Major in Collaborative Piano, Solo Piano and Piano Pedagogy) at Krasnoyarsk State Institute of Fine Arts, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
Bachelor of Musical Arts. June 1994. (Major in Collaborative Piano, Solo Piano and Piano Pedagogy) at College of Fine Arts, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
Pre-college piano Instruction. 1983 - 1990. (Major in Piano Solo Performance) at Krasnoyarsk Specialized Music School #1, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
● 2018, February - Guest artist. Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto with Idaho State Civic Symphony
● 2017, February - Guest artist. “Rhapsody in Blue” with ISU Concert Band
● 2016, January - Solo artist. Piano recital "Russian Piano Masterpieces"
● 2016, May - Collaborative pianist. Performance tour with ISU Chamber Choir (England)
● 2016, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of “Guys and Dolls” (ISU Opera Workshop)
● 2015, summer - Collaborative pianist, production of “Anything Goes” (ISU Summer Musical”)
● 2015, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of “Gondoliers” (ISU Opera Workshop)
● 2014, summer - Collaborative pianist, production of “The King and I” (ISU Summer Musical”)
● 2014, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of ISU Opera Workshop
● 2013 - present. Collaborative pianist at ISU Concert and Chamber Choirs
● 2012 - present. Collaboration pianist for ISU voice and instrument music majors
● 1994 - 2011. Collaborative pianist in various musical projects. Russia
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE:
● 2013 - present. Senior piano instructor. ISU Preparatory Piano Program.
● 2014 - present. Assistance Director of Technology at Idaho State University Piano Preparatory Program