Natalia Lauk comes from a lineage of classical Russian pianists and piano instruction. Both parents are graduates of the Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory in Saint-Petersburg and have more than 80 years combined piano teaching experience. She was born and raised in Siberia, Russia, where she studied piano for 16 years. She completed her Master of Musical Arts degree in Piano Solo Performance, Collaborative Piano, and Piano Pedagogy at the Krasnoyarsk State Institute of Arts in 2000.
Natalia's piano upbringing descends from Ludwig Van Beethoven. Beethoven taught the famous composer and pianist Carl Czerny, who became Franz Liszt's teacher. The German pianist and composer Karl Klindworth was Franz Liszt's student and became the teacher of the Russian composer Sergei Lyapunov. Lyapunov in turn taught the great Russian pianist Nadezhda Golubovskaya, who became the teacher of Natalia's father.
Natalia's performing carrier began in Russia. In 2011 she moved from Siberia to Idaho where started actively collaborating with the Department of Music at Idaho State University as a solo and collaborative artist. Natalia is a champion of Russian piano music. Her solo recital "Russian piano masterpieces" , which included works by Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky and Rachmaninoff, raised $1200 for ISU piano scholarships. She premiered several pieces by modern Siberian composer Valery Lapitsky at Kennedy Center (Washington DC) in summer of 2016. In February of 2018 Natalia performed Rachmaninoff 2nd Piano Concerto with Idaho State Civic Symphony in Stephenson Performing Arts Center which ranks fourth in nation. All available tickets to this performance were sold completely.
Natalia's teaching style emphasizes the development of strong technical skills and an understanding of the historical background of the music. She stresses as well the importance of becoming a performer in whose hands the piano becomes a speaking and singing instrument.
Master of Musical Arts. June, 2000 with Magna cum Laude. (Major in Collaborative Piano, Solo Piano and Piano Pedagogy) at Krasnoyarsk State Institute of Fine Arts, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
Bachelor of Musical Arts. June 1994. (Major in Collaborative Piano, Solo Piano and Piano Pedagogy) at College of Fine Arts, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
Pre-college piano Instruction. 1983 - 1990. (Major in Piano Solo Performance) at Krasnoyarsk Specialized Music School #1, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
● 2018, February - Guest artist. Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto with Idaho State Civic Symphony
● 2017, February - Guest artist. “Rhapsody in Blue” with ISU Concert Band
● 2016, January - Solo artist. Piano recital "Russian Piano Masterpieces"
● 2016, May - Collaborative pianist. Performance tour with ISU Chamber Choir (England)
● 2016, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of “Guys and Dolls” (ISU Opera Workshop)
● 2015, summer - Collaborative pianist, production of “Anything Goes” (ISU Summer Musical”)
● 2015, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of “Gondoliers” (ISU Opera Workshop)
● 2014, summer - Collaborative pianist, production of “The King and I” (ISU Summer Musical”)
● 2014, spring - Collaborative pianist, production of ISU Opera Workshop
● 2013 - present. Collaborative pianist at ISU Concert and Chamber Choirs
● 2012 - present. Collaboration pianist for ISU voice and instrument music majors
● 1994 - 2011. Solo and collaborative pianist in various musical projects. Russia
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE:
● 2013 - present. Senior piano instructor. ISU Preparatory Piano Program.
● 2014 - present. Assistance Director of Technology at Idaho State University Piano Preparatory Program