Membrane research Group at CSIR-CSMCRI
The home of world's thinnest polymer nanofilm membrane
Dr. Santanu Karan
Senior Scientist and SERB-Ramanujan Fellow
Membrane Science and Separation Technology (MS & ST ) division, CSIR-Central Salt and Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSIR-CSMCRI), Gijubhai Badheka Marg, Bhavnagar - 364002, Gujarat, INDIA.
Assistant Professor, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR), Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh 201002, INDIA.
Email (O): santanuk[at]csmcri[dot]res[dot]in
Email (P): santanukaran[at]gmail[dot]com; sk.nanofilmlab[at]gmail[dot]com
- Interfacial Instabilities and kinetics
- Polymer Nanofilms
- Separation Membranes
- Reverse Osmosis
- Organic Solvent Nanofiltration
- Roll-to-roll fabrication of composite membranes
- Making spiral-wound modules
Awards and recognition:
- International Leading Young Scientist: Society for Polymer Science Japan, May 2021.
- Among Top 2% scientists in world ranking brought out by Elsevier BV, Stanford University, 2021.
- Frontispiece Cover Page of Advanced Materials: Advanced Materials, 30, 1705973, 2018.
- SERB-Ramanujan Fellowship: [Nov 2016 – Nov 2021] Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) Global Award: Shortlisted for Research Project Award, August 2015.
- Imperial College Press Release: 'Crumpled' Filter Has Potential to Slash Energy Consumption in Industry, June 2015.
- RSC Chemistry World News: Ultra-Thin Membranes for Solute Separation, June 2015.
- The Chemical Engineer (IChemE) tce today News: New membrane is ultra-thin and super-strong, July 2015.
- The Chemical Engineer (IChemE) tce Innovations: Crumpled membrane offers superstrong separation, Sept. 2015.
- Perspective in Science Magazine: by Prof. V. Freger, Outperforming nature's membranes, Science, 348, 1317, 2015.
- Energy & Environment Management News: Science Breakthrough – The Power of Wrinkles, June 2015.
- Society of Chemical Industry's magazine, Chemistry & Industry: More Efficient Filtration, August 2015.
- World industrial reporter: Crumpled Filter Could Greatly Reduce Energy Consumption in Industries, June 2015.
- Membrane Technology Journal: Feature article in Issue 10, Pages 7, October 2015.
- Chemical Processing News: Crumples Boost Separation, August 2015.
- BP Global News: The Science behind Ultra-Thin Membranes, December 2015
- Web News: Nanotechweb.org, Phys.ORG, Science Daily, Innovation Toronto, Headlines & Global News, etc. June 2015.
- Frontispiece Cover Page of Advanced Functional Materials: Advanced Functional Materials 24 (30), 4728-4728, 2014
- Best Paper Award on Membrane Science and Engineering : Awarded by European Membrane Society.
- NIMS Press Release: Development of High-Performance Filtration Membranes Enabling Oil Purification, Jan 2012.
- IOP Asia-Pacific News: Diamond-like carbon, Jan 2012.
- Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN): Carbon Crafted Into Membranes, Jan 2012.
- Television Broadcasting: Diamond-Like Carbon Membrane, NHK, Japan, Feb 2012.
- Web and Printed News: Google, Yahoo, BBC, Business & Technology, Nanotechweb, Physicsworld, etc., Jan 2012.
- Perspective in Science: by D. R. Paul, Creating New Types of Carbon-Based Membranes, Science, 335, 413, 2012.
- Conference chair: Euromembrane 2015, Session- Nanofiltration III, September 6th – 10th, 2015, Aachen, Germany.
- Conference chair: The Network Young Membrains 14 Conference, 20th – 22nd September 2012, Imperial College London, UK.
Nanofilm Composite Membranes for Ultrafast Solvent Permeation, 10th June 2016, IChemE Fluid separations – Special Interest Group, Swansea University, UK.
Sub-10 nm Polyamide Nanofilms with Ultrafast Solvent Transport for Molecular Separation, Euromembrane 2015, 6th – 10th September 2015, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany (Jointly with Prof. Andrew Livingston).