- NAMI In Our Own Voice is a unique presentation in which two trained speakers share their compelling personal stories of living with mental health challenges and achieving recovery. Audiences range from individuals with mental health challenges, students of all ages, law enforcement officials and faith community members to veterans and service providers. While audiences benefit from the inspirational stories of the speakers, presenters increase their confidence and develop leadership skills while helping to inspire and motivate others.
• NAMI In Our Own Voice is a free presentation designed to shatter negative stereotypes against people with mental illness
• The presentations last 60-90 minutes
• NAMI In Our Own Voice follows a structured format. Two presenters who have experienced mental health challenges share their personal stories, from the dark days of a mental health crisis to the successes, hopes and dreams they are now experiencing in recovery
• The presentation also features a DVD with eight other individuals from diverse backgrounds sharing the impact of and recovery from mental health challenges
• Personal experiences with major depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder and other brain disorders are discussed
• NAMI In Our Own Voice demonstrates that recovery is possible
• Audience members are encouraged to ask questions and share their own experiences. This exchange helps combat the stigma and misinformation which surrounds these illnesses
• Presenters have often been viewed as role models for audience members who are also learning to live with mental health challenges
What are the goals of the NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations
• To allow audience members to connect on a personal level with the presenters via question and answer sessions
• To provider an opportunity for audience members to gain insight into the lived experience of life with mental illness
For More Information:
- Contact NAMI Johnston County, NC @ 919-980-5277 to set up an In Our Own Voice presentation four your group, church or organization.
Ending The Silence
NAMI Ending the Silence is an engaging presentation that helps audience members learn about the warning signs of mental health conditions and what steps to take if you or a loved one are showing symptoms of a mental health condition.
NAMI Ending the Silence presentations include two leaders: one who shares an informative presentation and a young adult with a mental health condition who shares their journey of recovery. Audience members can ask questions and gain understanding of an often-misunderstood topic. Through dialogue, we can help grow the movement to end stigma.
What Your Audience Will Get
- Free of cost to schools and communities
- NAMI Ending the Silence for Students: 50-minute presentation designed for middle and high school students that includes warning signs, facts and statistics and how to get help for themselves or a friend. Research has shown that NAMI Ending the Silence for Students is effective in changing middle and high school students’ knowledge and attitudes toward mental health conditions and toward seeking help
- NAMI Ending the Silence for School Staff: 1-hour presentation for school staff members that includes information about warning signs, facts and statistics, how to approach students and how to work with families
- NAMI Ending the Silence for Families: 1-hour presentation for adults with middle or high school aged youth that includes warning signs, facts and statistics, how to talk with your child and how to work with school staff
Schedule An Ending The Silence Presentation
If you would like to host a NAMI Ending the Silence presentation at your school, contact your local NAMI Affiliate. If the presentation isn’t already available, ask to bring it to your community.