Please join us through a regular or student membership!
We welcome educators and other interested members of our community (in Manitoba and beyond) who are interested in Specific Learning Disabilities.
*Manitoba Teachers Society PD Day (annually in October with a full day of Professional Development)
* up to 3 PD events (after school hours or weekends)
* other events/information from our MTSLD team
Please save the date for October 21, 2022 for our virtual Manitoba Teachers’ Society PD Day!
Learning Disabilities - Local Perspectives and Beyond!
(Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia and Universities of Manitoba, Winnipeg and Brandon are presenting amongst other exciting presenters!)
Our line up includes
• KEYNOTE - Right to Read
Dr. Kathryn Garforth, Garforth Education
Dr. Valdine Björnson, President MTSLD
• Karen Sharma, Manitoba Human Rights Commission
• Fun and games - increasing student engagement during OG lessons with young learners
Karine Tremblay-Eley Quebec
• Numeracy Development and Dyscalculia - Dr. Stephanie Bugden (University of Winnipeg)
• Using the Psych-Ed to Understand Your Student. Session 1 focuses on understanding your student’s Psycho-Educational Assessment to inform your instruction. Session 2 focuses on how to use the Psycho-Educational Assessment and interventions to inform your Individual Education Program. Dr. Kathryn Garforth Garforth Education, British Columbia
• Reading Development and Dyslexia (Joint presentation from University of Manitoba and University of Winnipeg) Dr. Desroches (U of W) & Dr. Kruk (U of M)
• Sound Walls for Your Classroom Kelly Gibbs Gibbs Educational Consulting, Alberta
• Transitioning from High School to Post-Secondary: Supports for students with Learning Disabilities Michelle Magnusson, Brandon University
• Structured Literacy in FSL: Equity and Inclusion in Bilingual programs Kimberly Lockhart
Limestone District School Board, Ontario (asynchronous prerecorded)
• Parent-Educator Q & A Session
John Harding, Dyslexic and Parent of child with dyslexia
Carrie Wood, parent of a child with Dyslexia. Educator and Dyslexia advocate. Tutor for the Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba
Dr. Valdine Björnson, Facilitator (MTSLD President)
• Technology Supports for Students with Learning Disabilities in Post-Secondary Education Michelle Magnusson and Morganna Malyon Brandon University
• The importance of proper instruction designed for those with learning disabilities, which are dyslexia, dysgraphia, and/or dyscalculia. (double session) Twila Richards Orton-Gillingham practitioner, Manitoba Educator, and learning disabilities advocate.
• Thinking About Nature-Based Learning and Disability Shelley Kokorudz Faculty of Ed. Brandon University
• People with Dyslexia in Winnipeg: Experiences as Children and Adults Natalia Jackson Reading and Learning Clinic of Manitoba
Dr. Linda Siegel - Dyslexia Initiatives in Canada: “Right to Read”
Dr. Linda Siegel will review Dyslexia Rights initiatives across Canada and her decades of research.
Dr. Linda Siegel (Professor, University of British Columbia) is the Dorothy Lam Chair in Special Education at the University of British Columbia. She is an eminent psychologist and educator who is an internationally respected authority on reading and learning disabilities. For her complete bio please click here.
Manitoba Teachers for Students with LD: New Perspectives and Understanding
MTS PD Day