Holy Family School 1st/2nd Grade 2018-19
Mr. Marc Sheehan
School Phone: 360-491-7060
Updated December 7, 2018:
The school Christmas program will be Tuesday, December 11 at 6:30 at Sacred Heart Parish. Students will need to be in the church by 6:15 that evening. Students must attend in uniform; costumes that the class finished on the 7th will be put on at Sacred Heart.
Next week, the 1st Graders will hear about The Jesse Tree and work on a Christmas book. In Social Studies, both the 1st and 2nd Graders will learn about how Christmas is celebrated in Australia, Ukraine, and Russia. The students will also learn about the Diwali celebration in India.
Our school clothing drive has begun. If you can send in new or gently used coats, and/or new pairs of underwear and socks, it will be appreciated. Thank you!
What will we be doing in class?
- 1st Grade Reading/Language Arts: We will read the story "I Am a Butterfly" from our textbooks. We will also learn about adding details to our writing.
Our weekly Spelling words will focus on the "ch" sound" -- chip, chin, inch, itch, catch, match, wish, shop, how, many
* Standards: Answer questions about key details in a text, retell stories, write about a topic
- 1st Grade Math: We are moving on to Chapter 5, which is about how Addition and Subtraction are related.
* Standards: Add and subtract within 20, represent and solve addition/subtraction problems, work with addition/subtraction problems
- 1st Grade Religion: We will be continuing to learn about the Advent season.
- 1st/2nd Grade Social Studies: We will continue to learn about how various nations around the world celebrate Christmas and other holidays.
- 1st/2nd Grade Science: Our next topic in Science will be hippos.
December 11: HFS Christmas Program at Sacred Heart, Performance begins at 6:30, Students Must Attend
December 17: Clothing Drive Ends
**Please make sure any treats you send in do not have peanuts in them. We have students with serious allergies.**
P.E. classes are on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Please make sure your child has shoes he/she can run around in safely. Tennis shoes are ideal for P.E. days.
Our Library session is on each Wednesday. Please help your student remember to return his/her books each week. Thanks!
Pizza lunches will be available on Wednesdays, and Hot Cocoa and Pretzels will be available on Thursdays. Order forms will be in your family's Backpack Express each month.
If you would like to help with our school's Box Tops For Education program, you can do so by sending the box tops each month.
HFS Information on Alma: https://holyfamilylacey.getalma.com
Scholastic Book Club: https://clubs.scholastic.com Class Code: QD4D8
Mr. Sheehan's Educational Resource Page: http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/ed.html
Math Chimp 1st Grade Resources: http://www.mathchimp.com/1st-grade-math-resources
IXL 1st Grade Math: https://www.ixl.com/math/grade-1
Free Rice: http://www.freerice.com
About Mr. Sheehan:
I am a life-long resident of the state of Washington, having grown up in Federal Way, where I attended St. Vincent de Paul Parish School. In 1992, I graduated from John F. Kennedy Catholic High School in Burien. I earned an Associate's Degree from Highline College in Des Moines in 1994, a Bachelor's Degree in Education from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma in 1998, and a Master's Degree in Education from Pacific Lutheran University in 2002. My hobbies and interests include following sports, reading, managing my personal website of educational links, and collecting coins and banknotes.