Links to Past Assignments
Rock Research form - no longer accepting responses here, but type in a Google Doc and share with me if you haven't done it yet.
Choose three rocks: one from each of the main rock types we studied. Research your rock and write a paragraph for each one.
You should include:
- the type of rock
- the color
- what minerals make up the rock
- where it is found in the world.
Geology.com is a great place to start, but use Google and find whatever rocks you want and any other information you need.
Natural Disaster Presentation
You and a partner will make a Google Slides presentation about your assigned topic. You'll be assigned one of these:
Your presentation should include the following:
- What is your natural disaster?
- What causes it to happen?
- In what parts of the world does your disaster happen?
- What steps do people take to try and prevent these disasters or limit their damage?
In addition, you'll find a recent example of your disaster from the news and answer these questions:
- When and where did the disaster happen?
- What were the impacts? (think on both people and property)
When you're done:
Write a report on natural disasters in Utah.
- Which of the above disasters take place (or could take place) in Utah?
- Where in Utah do these disasters happen?
- Find a recent natural disaster that has happened in Utah.
- What type of disaster was it?
- When and where did it happen?
- What was the impact on people or property?
Earth's Layers Research
You need to find out 3 things for each layer of the Earth:
- What are the 2 most abundant elements in that layer? Include the element's mass number.
- What is the density (in g/cm3 ) of each layer?
- What is the depth (in km) at which each layer begins?
- In other words, how deep a hole would you need to dig to reach that layer?
Use the links below and Google for your research.
Link 1 - Density & layers
Link 2 - Layers
Link 3 - Density