Field Trip Information
Meeting Place and Time
-We are meeting beside the Vancouver Convention Centre at Canada Place from 12:15 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.
-If you're taking the bus, you MUST LEAVE BY 11:40 A.M.
Take the 16 and walk from the corner of Granville and West Hastings
Take the 25. Transfer onto the Canada Line and take it to Waterfront Station
YOU MUST HAND IN YOUR FIELD-TRIP FORM BY THURSDAY AFTER SCHOOL
Make sure you answer these three questions (in writing) before next class.
1) How could you build two solid references by graduation?
2) How can you take advantage of community and family networks for job opportunities?
3) How can you build skills that will set you apart in the future?
Start by opening this link:
1) Take the Interests quiz and fill out page #1.
2) Take the Abilities quiz and fill out page #2.
3) Take the Data, people and things quiz and fill out page #3.
a) Fill out the quiz.
b) Click careers that sound interesting.
c) Answer the first two columns on that page.
d) Press Learn more about this occupation for the other questions.
Mental Health Research Project
For this assignment, you will research one area of mental health and make an informative resource for students. The task has two purposes. First, to learn more about an area of mental health that interests you. Second, to communicate what you learn in an appealing way.
You can choose a broad area of mental health such as mood disorders, or a specific condition. You can work in pairs or individually.
Examples of topics
- Bi-Polar Disorder
- Mood Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Social Anxiety
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Your project must include:
- Definition and summary of an area of mental health.
- Symptoms/warning signs of a mental health condition.
- Tools/ways for individuals to manage this condition.
- Ways to support people living with this condition.
Examples of ways to present your work:
- YouTube Video
- Instagram photo series/story
Resources to start:
Foundry BC: A set of resources developed by the BC Children’s Hospital
Here to Help BC: Lists information and resources available for people struggling with mental illnesses
Your project will be marked on the following criteria.
- Research: Your project must include detailed research on the topic and address all four areas of the criteria.
- Communication: However you present your work, your project must communicate all parts of the assignment clearly and creatively.
- Quality: Your project must show that you put care and effort into editing and crafting your project.
Due in class November 26
November 14 - Stress Readings
Strategies for managing stress in your life
Specific tools for managing stress in your life
November 12 - Anxiety Readings
Section #1 - Defining Anxiety
Section #2 - Signs of Anxiety
Section #3 - Ways to Manage Anxiety
Section #4 - Apps and Tools for Anxiety
Self Authoring Assignment
All three parts of the assignment are due November 12
- From the list you brainstormed, pick three goals you would like to pursue in your life.
- Give each goal a title.
- Briefly describe each goal.
- For each, answer the five questions on the handout.
Answer the Following for Each Goal
1. Why do you want to pursue this goal?
2. If you achieved this goal, how would it impact you and the people around you?
3. What specific actions could you take to achieve this goal?
4. What are some obstacles you might face, and what are some solutions?
5. How can you monitor your progress towards this goal?
Brainstorm Section (do not hand in)
- One thing you could do better
- Things you would like to learn about over the next 6 months, 3 years, 5 years
- Habits you would like to improve
- Your ideal social/family life in the future
- What you would like to do in your leisure time
- Ideal career in the future
- Qualities you admire
1) Directions: Divide your life in 5 Epochs and describe each one.
2) Identify at least one significant experience that defined each epoch
3) Write about how each of these experiences have shaped who you are today.
Virtues vs Faults Exercise
After you go through the class handout, do the following:
1)Pick five faults you think make your life more difficult
2)For each, write a short story about a time where this fault created a negative impact on your life.
3)For each, write a short paragraph explaining what you could have done to avoid this situation.
1)Pick five virtues that make your life better
2)Write a short story about a time this trait improved your life.
3)Write a short paragraph explaining how you could use each virtue to improve your life even more.
----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
October 7, 2019
Make sure you bring the classwork we did on mindfulness and truth to Wednesdays class. I will be checking it for a participation mark.
October 3, 2019
Here is the article we read in today's class.
Here is the mindfulness app I mentioned.
September 25, 2019
Sleep and Health
Sleep and Public Safety
September 23, 2019
The texts for today's class activity are below.
September 17, 2019
Make sure you complete bring your Eating Habits sheet to next class.
September 9, 2019
In class we talked about self-awareness and self-improvement.
You should have left class with a 10-minute strategy for improving your daily routine. Make sure you stick to your plan and stay mindful of your progress. We will talk about your results next week.