The Diploma Programme is a rigorous pre-university course of study designed for students in the 16 to 19 age range. It is a broad-based two-year course that aims to encourage students to be knowledgeable and inquiring, but also caring and compassionate. There is a strong emphasis on encouraging students to develop intercultural understanding, open-mindedness, and the attitudes necessary for them to respect and evaluate a range of points of view.
Internal assessment details—SL
Duration: 40 hours Weighting: 40%
- Individual design project
- This design project covers assessment objectives 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- At SL, the design project is assessed against the 4 common criteria:
- – Criterion A: Analysis of a design opportunity
- – Criterion B: Conceptual design
- – Criterion C: Development of a detailed design
- – Criterion D: Testing and evaluation
Internal Assessment Examples With Scoring
External Assessment Details—SL
Paper 1 (Duration: 3⁄4 hour | Weighting: 30% | Marks: 30)
- 30 multiple-choice questions on the core material.
- The questions on paper 1 test assessment objectives 1 and 2.
- The use of calculators is not permitted.
- No marks are deducted for incorrect answers.
Paper 2 (Duration: 1 1⁄2 hours | Weighting: 30% | Marks: 50)
- Section A: one data-based question and several short-answer questions on the core material (all compulsory). Maximum of 30 marks.
- Section B: one extended-response question on the core material (from a choice of three). Maximum of 20 marks.
- The questions on paper 2 test assessment objectives 1, 2 and 3.
- The use of calculators is permitted. (See calculator section on the OCC.)