John Kavalunas, Facilitator
Our Immigration team will focus on issues that promote justice and compassion for immigrants and refugees to the United States. This is in line with the welcome expressed by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We will pay particular attention to the Trump Administration’s attempts to marginalize these immigrant/refugee communities. As we become aware of actions and educational materials in our roles working and volunteering with immigrants and refugees, the Immigration Team will communicate these to the entire IndivisibleNWIL group. We also look to the Political Action Team to identify Immigration issues/actions.
Members of the Immigration team commit to taking at least one action supporting the Indivisible goals every two weeks – either with Immigration, Climate/Environment, Education, or one of the other focus areas. This action may be a protest participation, meeting with or calling their Member of Congress staff, Town Hall meeting attendance, letter to the editor, solidarity meeting with other area progressives, etc.
Perseverance is important, as this effort opposing the Trump Agenda looks to be a marathon, and not a sprint.
PROTECTING FAMILIES AT THE BORDER
Here are some organizations on the front line:
- Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project - prevents wrongful deportations by connecting refugee families to community support and emergency legal aid. https://asylumadvocacy.org/
- Kids In Need of Defense (KIND) - protecting unaccompanied children who enter the US immigration system alone to ensure that no child appears in court without an attorney. https://supportkind.org/
- La Union del Pueblo Entero - founded by Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta, a community union that works in the Rio Grande Valley from the grassroots up. https://lupenet.org/
- Texas Civil Rights Project - lawyers and advocates on the front lines of the family separation crisis https://texascivilrightsproject.org/
- We Belong Together - mobilizes women in support of common sense immigration policies that will keep families together and empower women. https://www.webelongtogether.org/
- Women's Refugee Commission - advocating for the rights and protection of women, children, and youth fleeing violence and persecution. https://www.womensrefugeecommission.org/