The Crown Public House dates from circa 1480 and the first recorded documentation shows it purchased in 1847 by a Francis Ling for £150. The 1881 census shows Phillis Ling as a widow living there with her son Frank, an "unemployed barman" (in a pub!).

In 1897 George Ling (the son of Francis) sold the building and land to Youngs Crawshaws Brewery with Mrs Ellen Stannard presumably as the landlady. In 1925 it was sold to Bullards then in 1967 by Watneys to Norwich Breweries. Finally Brent Walker acquired The Crown in 1988 and then it was sold as a freehouse to Jacque and Brian Grice. The Crown was only a beer house until approximately the 1950s or early 1960s when a spirit licence was granted.

The Bedfield Crown is situated in Church Lane, Bedfield IP13 7JJ. It is a very picturesque 15th century thatched building with ancient beams.


It is a free house and open every evening from 7pm and lunch times 12pm until 4pm weekdays with the exception of Tuesdays. It is now also open Sunday afternoons from 1.30pm to 4pm. A pleasant and friendly atmosphere prevails and you will always be assured of a warm welcome. The Crown is CLOSED all day Saturdays

There was a church recorded in Monk Soham in 1086 but the earliest parts of the present building date from around 1300, with additions including the south porch from the 15th century. This a particularly wide five-light window in the chancel and a similar seven-sacrament font which, although defaced, is finely detailed. The four evangelists carved around the stem of the font are wearing monks cowls, reflecting the authority of the Bury monks over the Parish at the time of its creation.

There is also a 14th century iron-banded chest, over eight feet long, which once held the village valuables.

In 1860 Archdeacon Robert Hindes Groome who was the rector of Monk Soham for forty-four years from 1845, spent £850 (the equivalent of almost £37,000 in todays money) on restoring St Peters after the structure had fallen into disrepair. Four Yew Trees by the Church gates were given to him by his friend, the writer and poet Edward Fitzgerald.

Two yew trees were planted in conjunction with the Parish Council in the churchyard to commemorate the Millennium in 2000.

An excellent account by a visitor to St Peters Monk Soham can be found on the website www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/monksoham. A Google search will also show several other related items.

A Worlingworth Benefice magazine is produced monthly and issued free to the 530 homes in the four villages.


An excellent website written relating to St Peters by a visitor can be found on the Suffolk Churches website and other Google related websites.

Details of forthcoming services can be obtained from the Churchwardens.

Clergy:- Rev. David Burrell, email theparsnips@googlemail.com (01986 798 136 )

Assistance Priest:-Rev. Ron Orams, email ron.orams@talktalk.net ( 01986 798 901 )

Lay Ministry Elder:- Rebecca Artiss ( 01728 685 663 )

Church warden:- Geoff Artiss ( 01728 685 663 )

A warm and friendly, but not imposing welcome for all, with a range of new style and traditional services. Sunday School every Sunday 10 a.m.

The General Pattern of Services:-

1st Sunday of the Month Family Service 11 a.m.

2nd Sunday Morning Prayer 11 a.m.

3rd Sunday Holy Communion 11 a.m. alternating. C.W order 1 / 2 (1662)

4th Sunday Morning Prayer 11 a.m.

5th Sunday Rotating Benefice service 10.30 a.m.

To get a flavour of these churches, be sure to read Simon Knott's excellent reports of his visits to Monk Soham and Bedfield churches: BEDFIELD and MONK SOHAM (click to view report) Also, be sure to check the Suffolk Churches Website to read about the beautiful churches in our County. Click HERE to go to the website. Information is also posted on Monk Soham Church noticeboard, which tells you all about St. Peter's

The Church of Saint Nicholas Bedfield

The Church is situated in the Church of England Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.


The Church occupies a beautiful position at the end of Church Lane, Bedfield. The building itself stands in the churchyard,which contains the war memorial, is bordered by trees and constructed mainly of flint rubble, punctuated by larger brown stones, bricks of various ages, knapped flints and imported dressed stone for the windows and doorways. These all combine to provide a rich variety of mellow colours and textures. Full details of the building are provided in an informative history published by Bedfield PCC.


Parts of the Church date back over 900 years and it has six bells which hang in a frame made by George Day and Son of Eye in 1891. The oldest bell was originally cast in 1450 although this was recast by Warner's in 1890.


A Benefice magazine is produced monthly for the four benefice parishes and is issued free to the 530 homes in the four villages.


Details of forthcoming services can be obtained from the Churchwardens.


Clergy: Reverend David Burrell, The Rectory, 15 Noyes Avenue, Laxfield, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP13 8EB. e mail :-theparsnips@googlemail.com Tel: 01986 798136

BEDFIELD HALL

The isolated 9th century site was moated around 1300 and is adjacent to the 11th century church. The earlier part of the house, built in 1421, was enlarged and modernised with two wings of 1620 and 1630. Until the Dissolution, the manor was held by Eye Priory. For the last 25 years, the house and garden have been the home and working space of artist Timothy Easton and his wife, Christine.

Timothy is also an architectural historian and a specialist on the painted surfaces of 16th and 17th century buildings. Here at Bedfield Hall, most of the rooms have their early 17th century decorative schemes intact or restored. The first owner-occupier since around 1100 was a wealthy farmer, Thomas Dunston (resident 1610-1657).

He was responsible for the layout of the painted rooms, two enriched plaster ceilings and, in his new kitchen, a remarkable painted and inscribed ceiling with magical symbols to ward off witches. The sub-divided two-acre gardens around the house have five connecting bridges over the water. There are formal yew hedges and topiary with potager, shrub roses, iris beds and a woodland area.

Tours.

The tour starts in the church, continuing in the garden (weather permitting) and on to the house.

The Tour is approx two and a half hours and costs £16.50 including tea or coffee, home-made cakes and biscuits. See photographs at www.harpurgardenimages.com

For more information call the Mercury Theatre on 01206 573948 or book on-line atwww.mercurytheatre.co.uk.

To view the art work of Timothy Easton go to www.easton.timothy.com