Parish Priests

Since the opening of the Church of St John the Baptist there have been 32 Parish Priests (listed below) appointed to the Catholic community in Melton Mowbray.

Some priests had terms of a year or two, others such as Fathers Chapman, Bermingham, Newsham and McDonagh were resident for over a decade. Each however, left their own mark on the lives of parishioners through the celebration of Mass, administration of the Sacraments and the provision of pastoral care.

19th Century

1843 - 45 Rev. A McDermott

1845 - 47 Rev. E. Belesy (Inst. Ch.)*

1847 - 50 Rev. A. Egan (Inst. Ch.)*

1850 - 56 Rev. George Bent

1856 - 58 Rev. J. Donovan

1858 - 64 Rev. James Birmingham

1864 - 71 Rev. Austin J. Rowley

1871 - 74 Rev. G. Newton

1874 - 75 Served from Eastwell

1875 - 76 Rev. H. Holdbrock

1876 - 77 Rev. T Parkinson

1877 - 78 Rev. A. C. Pol

1878 - 80 Rev. E. A. Van Dale

1880 - 81 Rev. W. J. Yates

1881 - 82 Rev. T. Nolan (Inst. Ch.)*

1882 - 85 Rev. Neligan

1885 - 86 Rev. T. O’Reilly

1886 - 87 Served from Eastwell

1888 - 90 Served from Nottingham Cathedral

1890 - 96 Rev. T. O’Reilly

1896 - 97 Served from Diocesan Seminary

1897 - 98 Rev. P. V. Capon

1898 - 1900 Rev. C. M. Holland

20th Century

1900 - 04 Rev. George W. Hendricks

1904 - 11 Rev. Henry Parkes

1911 - 13 Rev. J . B. Rooney

1913 - 16 Rev. H. A. Hunt

1916 - 21 Rev. R. J. Hunter

1921 - 22 Rev. J . S. Casey

1922 - 37 Rev. T. B. Chapman

1937 - 50 Rev. Augustine E. Bermingham

1950 - 55 Rev. P. G. Morris

1955 - 70 Rev. J. Newsham

1970 - 2001 Very Rev. Canon Peter McDonagh

21st Century

2001 - 10 Rev. James O’Hanlon

2010 - 18 Rev. Kevin A. Clark

2018 - 18 Rev. Dominic O'Connor (Par Adm)**

2018 - Rev. Martin J. Hardy


*Priests with the post-nominal letters ‘Inst. Ch.’ were members of the Institute of Charity, a Catholic Religious Institute founded by Blessed Antonio Rosmini and therefore also known as Rosminians.

** Parochial Administrator until the appointment of Rev. M. Hardy as Parish Priest by Bishop Patrick McKinney.