Minnesota Library Advocacy
This site is intended to assist both newcomers and old hands advocate for Minnesota libraries of all types. The goal is to provide a one-stop spot for information about what is going on in the current legislative session, an overview of how Minnesota libraries and systems work together to meet the needs of all Minnesotans, how to participate in Library Legislative Day, and an introduction for those who may be new to advocacy.
- Legislative Updates are provided by the MLA/ITEM lobbyist to keep everyone up-to-date on legislative activities that impact libraries. They are delivered via newsletter.
- Library Legislative Day explains the purpose of the Day & offers hints on how to make the most of the day.
- 2018 Key Messages are what we want to tell the Legislature.
- 2018 Platform
- Tool Kit for Legislative Day offers info on arranging the day & making it successful for you & Minnesota libraries.
- Virtual Library Legislative Week explains how to participate in Legislative Day if you can't be in St Paul.
- Legislative Forum has information about the annual Forum to learn about the legislative process & to create the platform.
- Grassroots Advocacy offers ideas on how best to contact your legislator, letter writing & visit tips, & more.
- About MN Library Systems explains how libraries and library systems are organized and funded. This will help people understand what is funded at the state or local level, what elements of library budgets rely on state support, and a list of library acronyms.
- Quick Links for Advocates has links to the Minnesota legislature information & more.
- Minnesota Legislature 101 explains how the Legislature is structured and the Committees libraries need to know.
Please keep in mind that this is a draft--we know it is incomplete in various sections. We wanted to get something started in time for this Legislative Day. We will continue to make progress. Please share your comments & ideas with email@example.com.
Watch the video for a quick into to Legislative Day. More videos here.