Is there an age requirement for children to get a service dog?
- Yes, children must be at least 13 years old in order to work with a service dog.
How do I apply for a service dog?
- To apply for a service dog with MASDF, please contact us and we will forward you an application. Simply fill out the application, being as truthful and detailed as possible and email it back to us. We will then review your application and contact you.
What kind of service dogs do you train?
- We only train mobility service dogs.
Can I get a dog from a breeder/shelter and have your organization train that dog to be a service dog for me?
- No. We only vest dogs that have been selected and trained by our organization.
What are the requirements to get a service dog from MASDF?
- The number ONE requirement: The dog needs to be under command and control by the handler solely, meaning the recipient is in charge of the dog independently from any caregiver.
- We ONLY provide dogs for mobility disabilities, as that is our area of expertise.
- New service dog applicants / recipients must be able to attend Monday night classes for 1 year.
- A mandatory home visit is required for all applicants prior to acceptance.
- New service dog recipients must live within the Chicago-land area.