A Template in eWalk is essentially the framework of your questionnaire, the structure of your walkthrough. It will contain the questions to be asked and each question’s choices of answers.
Templates are user-defined data input patterns used to collect data, that can be compared to questionnaires to which answers must be supplied or with forms that must be filled.
Each time a questionnaire is answered, data is supplied and collected.
One of several possible answers must be selected from a drop-down or a free format answer may be required.
Some questions expect numeric answers, while others expect text.
There are questions that require a yes or no answer, namely by checking or leaving unchecked a checkbox.
Each individual data collection session in connection to a template is called a walkthrough.
Every walk-through starts by selecting the site (e.g. school) at which the walk-through is performed.
Data collected by walk-throughs include time stamps.
Templates may be anonymous, or they may target a subject, i.e. a student or a staff member with specific duties at the school, namely one of the following:
If a template is not anonymous, each walk-through based on the template should indicate the name of the subject about whom information is being collected.
Each walk-through has an associated Start Date and an End Date.
Reports displays statistics and charts that summarize data collected during walkthroughs.
Reports can be configured by choosing a time interval for the reported data i.e. a report Report Start Date and a Report End Date.
Reports based on subject-targeting templates can be made to apply either to a specific subject or to all subjects.
If the walkthroughs based on a template target more than one site, the report can be based on any particular targeted site or group of targeted sites.
To understand better what templates are and how they can be used, their building blocks are briefly described below:
- Templates use elements, checklists, filters and value lists to collect information.
- Elements can be compared to questions that must be answered using, for example, drop-down lists, checkboxes and text and numeric input boxes.
- Elements may include space for adding notes.
- A Checklist is a group of related checkboxes which may be attached to elements.
- Filters are template building blocks that make possible to disaggregate data in reports (i.e. create reports that are based solely on data entered in conjunction with specific filter values.)
Filters are optional, but they may greatly increase the value of reports. Templates may have up to two filters.
NOTE: One may also disaggregate data in relation to one arbitrarily selected checkbox or drop-down element.
Value Lists are user defined lists of values which may be used to define filters or rate the entities represented by checklists.
Quick Instructions for Building a Template
- To begin, users must log into their MxWeb account on a Mac computer or PC, using their username and password.
- Select the eWalk banner to load up the software.
- Click on Build and then click on Templates to access the template editing screen.
A large grey and green window should be visible now, as seen in Figure 1.
Figure 1: This is an example of the screen users will see immediately after selecting Template from the Build menu
- Click on the New icon in the top left of the screen to create your new template.
- Enter a name for the template, select the type of employee your observations will be targeting.
The screenshot in Figure 2 reveals what users should see at this point:
Figure 2: The eWalk Template builder
There are four buttons directly beneath the top header:
- Save, which you will need to click in order to save your template,
- Share to share this template with another user;
- Preview to see what it will look like upon completion and;
- Clean Template, this button will remove all of your completed walk-throughs and collected data attached to this template (it is recommended that this button only be used when testing a template).
Create a description for the template, it will appear in the list view of all available templates. This was the page you were in when you clicked the “New” template button earlier.
If there is a need to attach an external document or file to a template, click on the box beside Allow file attachment to the walk-through under General Settings.
Select Custom Report contains any walkthrough reports completed with this template. This box will be empty if there aren't any completed templates.
The Text Field box is used to input a notes such as specific instructions for how to preform the walkthrough.
If you require further detail, please refer to Building Templates