Astro-ph seminar / Topics of Astrophysics
Last updated on June 23, 2019
Description: This seminar is intended to all the faculty, postdocs and students of the Astronomy Nucleus (and experts in related sciences) and it is intended to provide discussions about recent discoveries and papers that have been submitted to (or accepted by) astronomical and astrophysical journals. The papers and e-prints are updated every day, and are available at https://arxiv.org/archive/astro-ph (see below also)
Objectives for PhD students: Develop the ability to analyze the most recent publications in the literature of a variety of topics in astrophysics. Obtain a holistic vision of modern astrophysics. Develop the ability to give presentations, lead discussions and prepare answers to questions on different topics in astrophysics.
Procedure: In each session of 30 min, two or three papers are presented/discussed, devoting ~10-15 min for each paper.
When? Throughout first semester 2019, the astro-ph discussion will be on Mondays and Thursdays 11:30am (or at 1:30pm when there is Colloquia/Seminar). Each session lasts about 30 minutes. Seminar website here
Location: Sala de Titulación, Facultad de Ingeniería y Ciencias, UDP.
Faculty in charge: M. Aravena
List of papers discussed
Monday July 15, 2019
Thursday July 18, 2019
Thursday July 11, 2019
- "Accretion and Outflow in V404 Cyg" (discussion by Kriti Gupta)
- "DISCOVERY OF FOUR COLD DUSTY GALAXIES AT z = 3.62–5.85 IN THE COSMOS FIELD: DIRECT EVIDENCE OF CMB IMPACT ON HIGH-REDSHIFT GALAXY OBSERVABLES" (discussion by Jorge Gonzalez)
Monday July 8, 2019
- Small chat with Donald Kurtz (asterosismology expert, special guest)
Thursday July 4, 2019
- "Spatially Resolved Water Emission from Gravitationally Lensed Dusty Star Forming Galaxies at z ∼ 3" (by M. Aravena)
- Comment on "Boosted Kerr black holes in general relativity" (by Tom Maedler)
Monday July 1, 2019
- "Origin of α-rich young stars: clues from C, N and O" (discussion by Paula Jofré)
- "AGN in dwarf galaxies: frequency, triggering processes and the plausibility of AGN feedback" (by Roberto Assef)
Thursday June 27, 2019
- "The XMM-Newton Wide Field Survey in the COSMOS Field: Clustering Dependence of X-ray Selected AGN on Host Galaxy Properties" (discussion by Kriti Gupta)
- Jose Prieto
Monday June 24, 2019
- "Detection of continuum submillimeter emission associated with candidate protoplanets." (discussion by Dejene Zewdie)
- "High Velocity H I Jet-like Feature Towards the SNR Candidate G351.7–1.2" Cristina Romero-Canizales
Thursday June 20, 2019
- "LONG BASELINE OBSERVATIONS OF HD100546 WITH ALMA: A POSSIBLE CIRCUMPLANETARY DISK DETECTED IN DUST CONTINUUM AND GAS KINEMATICS", (by Lucas Cieza)
- "Imaging the Molecular Interstellar Medium in a Gravitationally Lensed Star-forming Galaxy at z=5.7" (discussion by Yordanka Apostolovski - UNAB)
Monday June 17, 2019
- Anya Samadi
- Roberto Assef
Thursday June 13, 2019
- "The [CII]/[NII] ratio in 3 < z < 6 sub-millimetre galaxies from the South Pole Telescope survey" (by Manuel)
- "The MOSDEF survey: a census of AGN-driven ionized outflows at z=1.4−3.8" (discussion by Kriti Gupta)
Monday June 10, 2019
- "The Absence of [CII] 158μm Emission in Spectroscopically-Confirmed Galaxies at z>8" (discussion by Drew Brisbin)
- To be posted on astro-ph, Tucci et al. Marcelo Tucci
Monday June 03, 2019
- "The K2-Hermes Survey: Age and metallicity of the thick disk" (discussion by Paula Jofré)
- "Discovery of a radio transient in M81" Anderson et al. (discussion by Cristina Romero-Canizales)
Thursday June 06, 2019
- "The Close AGN Reference Survey (CARS). Discovery of a global [CII] 158 μm line excess in AGN HE1353-1917" (discussion by J. Gonzalez-López)
- "HST unveils a compact mildly relativistic Broad Line Region in the candidate true type 2 NGC 3147" (discussion by C. Ricci)
Thursday May 30, 2019
- "AGN-Driven Outflows in Dwarf Galaxies", Manzano-King et al. (discussion by Dejene Zewdie)
- "Discovery of exceptionally strong nuclear transition sheds new light on the fate of intermediate-mass stars" (Discussion by José Prieto)
Monday May 27, 2019
- [OIII] Emission Line Properties in a New Sample of Heavily Reddened Quasars at z>2, Temple et al. (by R. Assef)
- Near- to mid-infrared spectroscopy of the heavily obscured AGN LEDA 1712304 with AKARI/IRC, Tsuchikawa et al. (discussion led by Kriti Gupta)
Thursday May 23, 2019
- Multi-wavelength observations of a bright impact flash during the 2019 January total lunar eclipse, Madiedo et al. (discussion by Jorge Gonzalez)
- Kerr Black Holes and Nonlinear Radiation Memory, Maedler et al. (discussion by T. Maedler)
Monday May 20, 2019
- No Clear, Direct Evidence for Multiple Protoplanets Orbiting LkCa 15: LkCa 15 bcd are Likely Inner Disk Signals (discussed by L. Cieza)
- The period-luminosity relation for delta Scuti stars using Gaia DR2 parallaxes, Ziaali et al. (discussed by A. Samadi)
Thursday May 16, 2019
- Exploring the R CrA environment with SPHERE. Discovery of a new stellar companion (discussed by Alice Zurlo)
- The Main Sequence at z∼1.3 contains a sizable fraction of galaxies with compact star formation sizes: a new population of early post-starbursts? (discussed by Drew Brisbin)
Monday May 13, 2019 -- No Astro-ph discussion
Thursday May 8, 2019
- Hot Dust-Obscured Galaxies with Excess Blue Light, Assef et al. (by R. Assef)
- The IRAM/GISMO two-millimeter survey in the COSMOS field, Magnelli et al. (discussion led by M. Aravena)
Monday May 5, 2019
- 80 minute light echo signalling a 10,000 solar mass black hole in a bulgeless dwarf galaxy (discussion led by C. Ricci)
- The ASAS-SN Bright Supernova Catalog -- IV. 2017, Holoien et al. (Discussion led by invited speaker Tom Holloien)
Thursday May 2, 2019
- Relation between winds and jets in radio-loud AGN, Mehdipour et al. (discussion led by D. Zewdie)
- Multi-Filament Inflows Fueling Young Star Forming Galaxies, Martin et al. (discussion led by J. Gónzalez-López)
Monday April 29, 2019
- Unveiling the 100 pc scale nuclear radio structure of NGC 6217 with e-MERLIN and the VLA (led by Cristina Romero-Cañizales)
- Dust production scenarios in galaxies at z ∼ 6–8.3 (discussion led by T. Diaz-Santos)
Thu April 25, 2019
- DUST UNVEILS THE FORMATION OF A MINI-NEPTUNE PLANET IN A PROTOPLANETARY RING (By L. Cieza)
- Simultaneous calibration of spectro-photometric distances and the Gaia DR2 parallax zero-point offset with deep learning (by Paula Jofré)
Mon April 22, 2019
- Astrophysical detection of the helium hydride ion HeH+ (Discussion led by M. Aravena)
- 1ES 1927+654: an AGN Caught Changing Look on a Timescale of Months (Discussion led by C. Ricci)
Thu April 11, 2019
- "A Critical Evaluation of Recent Claims Concerning Solar Rotation", Scherrer & Gough (Discussion led by A. Samadi)
- EHT discussion (led by R. Assef):
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. I. The Shadow of the Supermassive Black Hole"
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. II. Array and Instrumentation"
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. III. Data Processing and Calibration"
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. IV. Imaging the Central Supermassive Black Hole"
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. V. Physical Origin of the Asymmetric Ring"
- "First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. VI. The Shadow and Mass of the Central Black Hole"
Mon April 8, 2019
ASPECS: UDP golden special edition (discussion led by J. González-López and M. Aravena)
- "The ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the HUDF: CO emission lines and 3 mm continuum sources", Gónzalez-López et al.
- "The ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the HUDF: CO luminosity functions and the molecular gas content of galaxies through cosmic history", Decarli et al.
- "The ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the HUDF: the molecular gas content of galaxies and tensions with IllustrisTNG and the Santa Cruz SAM", Popping et al.
- "The ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the HUDF: Nature and physical properties of gas-mass selected galaxies using MUSE spectroscopy", Boogaard et al.
- "The ALMA Spectroscopic Survey in the HUDF: Evolution of the molecular gas in CO-selected galaxies", Aravena et al.
Thu April 4, 2019
- " First direct detection of an exoplanet by optical interferometry; Astrometry and K-band spectroscopy of HR8799 e" (Discussion led by A. Zurlo)
- "The diverse evolutionary pathways of post-starburst" (Discussion led by C. Romero-Canizales)
Mon April 1, 2019
- "A Survey of Atomic Carbon [C I] in High-redshift Main-Sequence Galaxies" (Discussion led by T. Diaz-Santos)
- "Ages and kinematics of chemically selected, accreted Milky Way halo stars" (Discussion led by P. Jofré)
Thu March 28, 2019
- "Probing IGM accretion onto faint Lyα emitters at z~2.8" (Discussion led by D. Brisbin)
- "ALMA Large program on proto-planetary disks (DSHARP)" (Discussion by L. Cieza)
Mon March 25, 2019
- "Emission Line Luminosity Distributions of Seyfert 2 Galaxies" , Chen-Chen et al. (Discussion led by D. Zewdie)
- "A new class of flares from accreting supermassive black holes" Trakhtenbrot et al. (Discussion led by C. Ricci)
Thu March 21, 2019
- "Clearing the Smoke: Nebular Spectra of 100+ Type Ia Supernovae Exclude Single Degenerate Progenitors", Tucker et al. (Discussion led by J. Prieto)
- "H-α emission in the nebular spectrum of the Type Ia supernova ASASSN-18tb", Kollmeier et al. (Discussion led by J. Prieto)
- "Period spacings of gravity modes in rapidly rotating magnetic stars I. Axisymmetric fossil field with poloidal and toroidal components", Prat et al. (Discussion led by A. Samadi)
Mon March 18, 2019:
- No astro-ph discussion due to G. Kaufmann and S. White talks at UNAB.
Thu March 14, 2019:
- "ALMA twenty-six arcmin2 survey of GOODS-S at one-millimeter (ASAGAO): Near-infrared-dark faint ALMA sources", Yamaguchi et al. (Discussion led by: M. Aravena)
- "Evident black hole-bulge coevolution in the distant universe", Yang et al. (Discussion led by R, Assef)