Rathbun-Jones - The Humongous Engine
The Rathbun-Jones Engineering Company of Toledo Ohio was organized about 1910 from the outgrowth of the earlier Rathbun-Lacy Company, also of Toledo. About 1920 Rathbun-Jones became part of the Ingersoll-Rand operation, which is still a major supplier of compressors and pneumatic equipment today. In 1917 Rathbun-Jones started producing a new vertical engine designed specifically production of natural gas.
MAEA acquired a Rathbun-Jones engine in 2010. The engine is from the early 1930s and was belted to a large AC voltage generator that was used to power the Porter Township Oil Field community. It has a 12 ¾ inch bore, 15 inch stroke, 3 cylinders and is 120 horsepower.
In 2010 Bob Whitney led the crusade to move the engine from the oil field to the current location at the MAEA grounds. Moving the humongous engine was not easy. The base measures 4 feet by 7 feet. The entire footprint with fly-wheel, pulley and outboard bearing is 6 feet by nine feet and stands 9 feet tall. It weighs in at near 30,000 pounds.
Many hours have been put into the engine, but there are many more to go. If you are interested in being a part of this project, or have knowledge to share about this engine please contact us and we can point to in the right direction. The engine is on the showground and under construction.