I am currently working on Niche Construction, Biological Individuality, Immunity, and Holobionts
My work is primarily interdisciplinary philosophy "in" biology.
Areas of Specialization: Philosophy of Biology, Science, and Cognitive Science
Areas of Competence: Philosophy of Mind, Logic, Intro to Philosophy, Critical Thinking, Bioethics, Philosophy of Environment
- Chiu & Gilbert (2015) The birth of the holobiont: Multi-species birthing through mutual scaffolding and niche construction. Biosemiotics 8: 191. (publisher link)
- Chiu & Eberl (2016) Microorganisms as scaffolds of host individuality: an eco-immunity account of the holobiont. Biol Philos 31: 819 (publisher link)
- Chiu et al. (2017) Protective Microbiota: From Localized to Long-Reaching Co-Immunity. Front. Immunol. (publisher link) [download pdf]
- Laurent, ... Chiu, ...,et al. (2017) Immune-mediated repair: A matter of plasticity. Front. Immunol. 8:454. (publisher link) [download pdf]
- Chiu (forthcoming) Decoupling, Commingling, and the Evolutionary Significance of Experiential Niche Construction in "Evolutionary Causation: Biological and Philosophical Reflections" eds Uller, T. and Laland, K. ( Vienna Series in Theoretical Biology, MIT Press)
- Bazin, T., Chiu, L., & Pradeu, T. (under review at PTPBio). Host-microbiota co-immunity: an intimate relationship that goes beyond defense.